Help finding laptop

goldstar0011

Ex. Club Member
As per my previous thread about getting a GPS device I've deiced a laptop is best idea as I won't use often so money would be wasted in an actual GPS device itself, I'm after replacing what I call my media PC which is only 850mhz Celeron so a laptop would be better really (with a GPS receiver).

So I'm looking for nothing too pricey or powered as it's just for watching video files and DVD's at home or in the car as well as music, I'll still have main PC for general usage.

Screen size not important as at home would be connected to a monitor anyway.

512MB RAM seems the norm now so that's needed, ethernet and USB is a yes.

Something like this

Also, GPS receivers and software suggestions needed as I know little about these.

Cheers

ever since my first laptop purchase about 10 years ago, i have always thought Toshiba makes the best laptops. they are not particularly cheap but then it offers all the features you are asking for and its reliable as well.

PCworld is a money grabbing Bi*ch but they always have good deals on laptops. do try staples as well, not many people go there but they have some excellent deals as well.

as for GPS, most of them comes in compact flash form for attachment into your laptop and software should be included as well for your peace of mind. the cheapest one i could find is about 70 pounds from globalsat but i dont know if it is of any good.

Dont buy dell laptop unless you have a warrenty! I purchased 5 latitudes for our company last year and they've all had faults

yup dell D5** series have alot of keyboard problems, with dell you dont get good quality goods untill your paying 700+ for a laptop. pcworld are not that bad at all and they do have a fair amount of deals with tosh and compaq/hp. if i was to buy another lappy it would be a HP branded one, good components and build quality

paddymarsden said:
yup dell D5** series have alot of keyboard problems, with dell you dont get good quality goods untill your paying 700+ for a laptop.

4 were D505's and the other was a D510. The 505's have had modem / video faults, and the 510 had a bluetooth problem. Most of these either had replacement modems or motherboards to fix them - all free replacements as they had the warrenty, but would have cost £300+ without one!

i laugh at dell when i ring them up tellin them the issue and we have to go through 'diags' and still get to the same conclusion ! we dont use modems at our place thank god, good old vodafone data pcmica :)

Dell for business's = Spot on

Dell for home = Might as well use it as a doorstop.

Back