Head light brightness issue (plus emissions & ride comfort) MOT FAIL :-(

Hi guys,
tried to put my car in for MOT today, and aside from some small emmisions problems on Idle (but weirdly not under revs - could this be cured by upping the idle speed?) I've got a problem with the headlight brightness.

I had, up until an hour ago, the fly-eyes dark black tint sheets on them - which I've removed in anticipation of a re-test tomorrow, but having said that I've been noticing a problem with visibility for a while...
I had maybe thought this visibility issue was because the beam aim was too high - but apparently the beam height is bob on...

I don't know if this is relevant but some time ago my fogs/driving lamps (it's a super s), decided to fuse themselves somewhere along the loom and have created a permanent earth somewhere along the line - so that when the dash clocks light up (connected to the rear light cluster) the bumper lamps light up.
Now I've tested the brightness level with and without the rear cluster fuse pulled - and the main headlights beam strength doesn't change at all.
Any thoughts?

Also, I've been told by one of the mechanics at work that my springs have gone rather soft - would this cause the ride to be a bit harsh?

Cheers

I don't remember them being as poor as they currently are, but then I guess Ive never really thought about it much :p

Any thoughts on the idle speed vs emissions? (should have mentioned that I have 2nd decat pipe in place), or indeed the allegedly "soft springs" issue?

the springs can wear out by excessive weight in the car can make them weak! is the spring issue front or rear?

and not sure about the emissions possibly a cat has failed?

Never been excessive weight in the car ever... It's mainly the fronts I'm told. He mentioned it when replacing my shocks with some gas shocks...

hmm fair enough mate unless he doesnt know what micras are like and they are fine as there soft anyway

I probably should have mentioned that the cars been dropped -35mm on secondhand spax springs and has gone through 3 sets of shocks in as many years :-S

Right- headlight issue fixed, turned out to be shonky eBay hwang cha dong effort bulbs- just replaced with some Halfords 90% brighter extreme brilliance bulbs (£32 a set with trade card) - which seemed a bit dear but Ive got to say they're worth every penny!!!!

Just gotta sort the emissions out now, so gonna use some redex and crank up the idle speed a little :p

Right- headlight issue fixed, turned out to be shonky eBay hwang cha dong effort bulbs- just replaced with some Halfords 90% brighter extreme brilliance bulbs (£32 a set with trade card) - which seemed a bit dear but Ive got to say they're worth every penny!!!!

Just gotta sort the emissions out now, so gonna use some redex and crank up the idle speed a little :p
Perhaps just the redex will do. and a decent motorway run.

Back