Hard to shift in my K11 automatic

Hello boys and girls, really hope someone can help me with this one. I have a Micra 1.3 LX 1995 Automatic. It is very hard to shift from D to R while the Engine is on. When driving there is no problem at all with the gearbox, it runs smooth. But when stop and try to shift gear to etc R or P its kind of hard. If I turn off the car there is no problem to shift. The car has drive 80 000km. Is the gearbox on the way to give up or can it be fixed?

Last edited:
Hello perhan. I've had a couple of the auto's, they are all like it buddy.
What I have found is to put it in neutral for a couple of seconds between changes, that seems to help.
It also helps to warm the car up for a couple of minutes in the morning before selecting gears.
Regular gear oil changes makes a difference as well mate.
I've never tried to solve the problem. just accepted it's the way the box works.

Hello perhan. I've had a couple of the auto's, they are all like it buddy.
What I have found is to put it in neutral for a couple of seconds between changes, that seems to help.
It also helps to warm the car up for a couple of minutes in the morning before selecting gears.
Regular gear oil changes makes a difference as well mate.
I've never tried to solve the problem. just accepted it's the way the box works.

Hi mate, thank you for the reply.. Well glad to hear im not the only one with the problem. I will do as you wrote, oilchange is booked this friday :)

Mine's sometimes a bit awkward.
I also remember reading an Autocar magazine 12,000 mile type test when they were new & it mentioned that their CVT was very reluctant to shift into drive in really cold weather & had to be left to warm up for a couple of minutes.
Just quirks of having a CVT ;)

Back