Automatic Gear shift

Hi Guys,
Another hopefully slight problem has occured with the wifes car...The gear shift has got a little difficult to move down the box from "P" through to "D"...it seems a little clunky...jerky..stiff..if that makes sense. When driving, the car shifts up and down the box no problem at all...there are no Transmission fluid leaks at all and the levels are spot on..both cold and hot...Is it possible that this could be that the linkeage needs cleaning, greasing and or adjusting...Ive never had need to touch Automatic boxes before so Im a little retecent to delv into the unknown without advice from folk that may have the first hand knowledge, I have read the manual regarding adjusting the cable...seems pretty simple....but I always like to ask advice when undertaking something Ive never done....Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Steve.

Hello Steve. The two auto's I've had were both a bit clunky, I know exactly what you mean. Felt like it needed a bit of clearance somewhere, never bothered with it, and never caused any problems in over 5 or six years. Just run with it I would.

Hello Steve. The two auto's I've had were both a bit clunky, I know exactly what you mean. Felt like it needed a bit of clearance somewhere, never bothered with it, and never caused any problems in over 5 or six years. Just run with it I would.
Thanks Davyboy...I was wanting an answer like this...lol...I think I shall get underneath and have a bit of a clean up on any cable/linkeage that I find grubby....then give it a bit of lube...wont do any harm and give me chance to have a poke about and get to know the underside...but only while the weather is warm...should make the wife do it..its her car...lol...but Im not that brave to suggest it ;-)...
Regards,
Steve.

You can align it quite well to the selector orange printed symbol under the selector housing. The orange nark which shows you where your gearbox is in the gears.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Usually the linkage can stretch. You need someone in the car whilst you adjust the hear selector under Neath.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Thanks for the heads up on that SirChris...it doesnt tell you that in the Haynes Manual...or I didnt see it...I will read it up again before I do anything..
Regards,
Steve.

Back