Group buys: Fibreglass bonnet

CMF_mycra

» CMF Member
Not that I'm doing this to save me a few notes doesnt bother me but just spoken blitz in QLD.... If 5 or more people orders it's$ 770 each, 10@$500 for a custom bonnet and can customize own design, vents or scoops. I'm going to send em my bonnet for mold to save yous the trouble.

Anyone interested? Guess not hey..

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
Mate that is a absolute brilliant price. I Would buy some extra Dave as people will want them later down the track also. If people do not jump on these at that price there crazy. Plus they are 100% street legal. No one can say a word even With scoops and so on in them. Carbon or glass bonnets in japan are
Around the same price so that price in Aus is great. Good to see a local company doing such work at a reasonable price.

CMF_mycra

» CMF Member
i was thinking if weight is then main concern then carbon fire would be easier and cheaper than getting it made by blitz.... since there's not a substantial weight difference between stock and fiberglass(frank reduced weight by removing support brace) it would be more logical to get it made because of styles, scoops, vents etc

but since when did 5-10 peoples would agree on 1 design for group buy?!?
catch my drift ;)

price for single bonnet depending is 1800 max with vents

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
mycra WROTE:

"12kg is after he ripped the supports off...

the 12 kg was my misses,s white one lol, tho hers had a copy/spurious one fitted in 99 (twas a salvage car too)
mine is 11 kg, so with the felt and expanding foam added, i,ve shed very little weight

Attachments

• 64576.jpg
    64576.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 29

CMF_DECIM8

» CMF Member
I believe these bonnets are legal in QLD not NSW.. just a thought.. although not like many people are going to pick on a micra.

CMF_SSUK

» CMF Member
Bonnet weights depend on the spec really. Typical Carbon bonnets that I have seen in Japan come in around 7kgs but these have all OEM hinge fixings included as well as a bonnet catch and probably have some legal requirements there. Many I have seen here in the UK will not have the front hinge and rely on bonnet pins. They are also not required to have much structiral integrity being used for rally, so I expect the ones in Japan are built pretty heavy if a stock bonnet is 12kgs.

I am chasing down some GRP bonnets here in the UK which are claimed to be 5kgs but I have yet to receive any details. Again for motorsports use in mind.

Matt Humphris sells carbon bonnets but they are mega money, you're talking $1900 a pop plus shipping, weight is a miniscule 2kgs. I picked one up once when I was at his place and I nearly flung it into the ceiling, almost cost me I can tell you. Made to a rediculous level of quality, double skin, very stiff too....but you have to ask yourself if it's really worth it.

Going by weight, you'd be better off dumping the stock battery and fitting a race battery for like $200 and saving 10kgs that way, (CG engines need bollock all power to crank over), add less fuel to your car or cutting off a leg, (bit drastic) ;) Better still, drop the weight from the flywheel, makes the biggest difference in terms of performance compared to any weight reduction in the long run.

Back