Gear linkage problem :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

joesouthgate

Super Moderator
Club Member
Coming into college today, had to go the uber bumpy route as cows were blocking the other way.
Went over a few big bumps and went to change gear and the gear stick had moved right back.

Now if i have the handbrake on and i try to put it into 2nd, 4th or reverse it hits the handbrake but goes into gear.

Anyone knows why this would have happened?

Cheer
Joe

The rubbers underneath may have perished, and put under extra stress from the bumps. As a result, your gear stick is now sitting in a different position.

The rubber mounts breaking is a common problem, but can be easily replaced and purchased from Nissan.

I watched a bloke buy an original mini and drive away, he got abut 50 yards and the gearstick fell out the bottom, apparently they go all the time.... needless to say he wanted his money back.
Get it replaced before sommat scary like that happens lol.

but i always seem to get lucky and get a micra that had just had a full service....or MOT replacing these types of parts
thats why when i go i fill my pockets with anything that small and is in good nik....i got loads of micra bits of crap

Well obviously it's up to you! Getting to that part of the car is usually quite difficult in my local scrappy. They take the wheels off so it's sitting on the floor, then dump another car on top of it. For the sake of driving to the scrappy and removing them, i'd rather just drive to nissan and know i've got a brand new part ! it's alot easier too lol

Yeah and with rubber sitting in a scrappy for a while it can perish. At least if it's new you got some sorta guarantee. And it can't be that expensive from nissan.

Yeah and with rubber sitting in a scrappy for a while it can perish. At least if it's new you got some sorta guarantee. And it can't be that expensive from nissan.

I got a bottom arm from an older micra from the scrappies and the rubbers and ball joint were like new lol alot better than the 1 I took off :p

.....cutting corners on certain parts may not be such a good idea....

....buying new means you've got some sort of guarantee....

just finished fixing the problem(s) at college. was perished engine mount, which caused mounting bracket to shear off and the linkage rubbers were perished.
in the week its been off the roads i drove my girlfriends clio untill the head gasket went (about 2 days later) :p then got a curtisy micra :D much better :p

bloody french cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back