Gauges

Joel1993

My car is blue... not PURPLE
Alrighty then, I am thinking of adding some new gauges but the only thing that is stopping me is where to connect them, for example...

O2 mixture gauge (rich/lean)... Where would you connect that to? The carburetter? Lamda?

Also I am wanting oil Pressure and Volts... If anyone knows where to hook them up, please feel free to comment aha

Cheers everyone :)

Volts plugs simply into a 12v live then onto an earth

Oil pressure you can get a 'sandwich plate' and add up to 4 sensors. Like your oil pressure. There may be a sensor you can tap into but I wouldn't recommend it

Air/fuel ratio is earthed off the engine block. Uses a 12v switchable power (comes on when you turn the key) usually a yellow or white wire to attach to the headlight loom
Other wires usually brown or yellow go to data loggers
You'll have a separate connector to plug into an o2 sensor. If your using it to tweak your air fuel ratio get a wideband sensor. Narrow band is only accurate on idle.
Placememt of your o2 is up to you. But it will need a reading of all 4 cylinders. You can tap into an existing one (closest to engine)

Volts plugs simply into a 12v live then onto an earth

Oil pressure you can get a 'sandwich plate' and add up to 4 sensors. Like your oil pressure. There may be a sensor you can tap into but I wouldn't recommend it

Air/fuel ratio is earthed off the engine block. Uses a 12v switchable power (comes on when you turn the key) usually a yellow or white wire to attach to the headlight loom
Other wires usually brown or yellow go to data loggers
You'll have a separate connector to plug into an o2 sensor. If your using it to tweak your air fuel ratio get a wideband sensor. Narrow band is only accurate on idle.
Placememt of your o2 is up to you. But it will need a reading of all 4 cylinders. You can tap into an existing one (closest to engine)
Really big help there mate. Thanks a lot :)

Hey guys I know this is an old thread but it's relive not aha. Fitting a air\fuel gauge and it's not working. Live wire I put to battery
Black earth is on engine block
White ignition is on the white/black wire of the ignition loom
Does the orange headlight one have to be connected for it to even turn on?

Yeah. I had a separate white wire which plugged in elsewhere on the dial. Instructions say that's the signal wire :S

I did do. Everything is where it should be. Or I 99% sure it is. There isn't any power going to it

Yeah the instructions said the white wire is ignition 12v. But says the red wire is battery
Sorry that didn't answer any question aha. Thing is I hooked the white wire up to the black and white wire on the ignition barrel. In the Haynes it says that's the wire for the first click

Sorry that didn't answer any question aha. Thing is I hooked the white wire up to the black and white wire on the ignition barrel. In the Haynes it says that's the wire for the first click
Is it the wire for the 2nd click? As that's when you'll need the power
Did you check it was 12v?

Is it the wire for the 2nd click? As that's when you'll need the power
Did you check it was 12v?
In the Haynes it only has two wires apparently. First click and third? Don't get it aha. But it says the first click is power. On my first click my stereo turns on

i tapped into the loom behind the centre switch panel joel, i stabbed a pin into the wires till i found 1 that was live with the ignition on, the gauge draws very little power

Why not do everything in the engine bay first. i.e First connect the black to your battery negative. Then connect both the white and red to the positive of your battery. This should light up your dial. You can then check the dimming works by touching the orange wire to the battery positive. Once you have confirmed the lighting part, disconnect the positive wires from the battery and connect the signal wire to your lambda sensor. Now reconnect the positive wires back up and fire up the engine. Make sure your dial is safe and won't vibrate off. If it all works you can then go ahead and fit in the car using the appropriate connections.

Why not do everything in the engine bay first. i.e First connect the black to your battery negative. Then connect both the white and red to the positive of your battery. This should light up your dial. You can then check the dimming works by touching the orange wire to the battery positive. Once you have confirmed the lighting part, disconnect the positive wires from the battery and connect the signal wire to your lambda sensor. Now reconnect the positive wires back up and fire up the engine. Make sure your dial is safe and won't vibrate off. If it all works you can then go ahead and fit in the car using the appropriate connections.
Hmmm good idea that pal. It's on question what I stuck with aswell. If I put the ignition wire onto the wrong wire. Will it work at all

I have an update on this. Got the gauge working alright. Happy with it. One problem. Which wire does it go to the lambda sensor. Is it the black one?

Back