Fuel Prices

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Ditch all those gas guzzlers.
Tip is petrol prices will be around $2.00 / litre within 6 months.
Premimum unleaded has hit $1.30 in Tassie.
Oh I love my wee Micras.
In the paper today people are already abusing gas station owners.
How stupid is that?

CMF_Brendon

» CMF Member
in sydney it was 1.12 last week now bumped up to 1.24.

it sux majorly. oil companies can do stuff to fix the fuel demand like maybe build anotehr refinery or up the amount of oil produced but the greedy buggrs wont do a thing. GREED for money is a bad thing and something that will not ever go away for now anyway. what it oil per barrel now hast it hit like $70US a barrel?

just think that a yr ago it was like $35us a barrel. damn this war in iraq!!!!
i could whinge all day about how corrupt and stuffed up this world is but ill stop now.

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
96-octane
NZ 148.9c / litre (AU 136.7c litre)

91-octane:
* 111c in December
* 143.9c now. (AU 132.1c litre)

Diesel
* 74.9c in December
* 96.9c now

1 NZD = 0.918219 AUD

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Well oil a finite resource and demand is now outstripping supply. New oil discoveries not keeping up.
China now soaking up more and more oil as standard of living rises and they move to motor cars.
Yanks do not know what fuel economy is all about and all want SUVs which are not noted for fuel economy.
Of course Bush and his mates have nothing to do with the oil industry ( "falls of chair laughing")
Get used to it. There may be some downwards movements but overall it will steadily increase.
If the Australian Govt. could think 10 years ahead instead of the next election they would be encouraging production of blended fuels using sugar cane,sugar beet etc. and starting to forewarn motorists that vehicles that do not achieve certain fuel economy levels will start to be taxed at point of sale.Lower the fuel economy greater the tax.

CMF_daily_ricer

» CMF Member
I got mates in the USA who complain about their prices... It is still very cheap over there.

I remember when I started driving, about 7 years ago now, and I used to shop around for places with prices less than 79c/lt "knowing" that I'd be paying to much if they charged more. lol

I love the micra.

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
Hmmm....

LPG micra?

nah.

Diesel micra?

That sounds quite tempting, being able to make Biodiesel for only a fraction of the cost of normal diesel, coupled with a diesel's fuel efficiency when you're not gunning it... hmm

CMF_squigbobble

» CMF Member
I love it when Yanks start whining about fuel prices "$3 a gallon?!" etc. UK fuel prices work out to about US$6.50/USgallon so they've got nowt to whine about. We're currently paying 90p/l, up from about 82p last year, that works out to AU$2.14/l.

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
Bio diesel is not as cheap as it might first appear. To be at all worth while, the oil needs to be free. You then need to do some chemistry with it. It's possible to run something like a 10% blend with ordinary diesel but then your're not really achieving that much that way.

All the cheap sources of oil are being used up. We're left with more expensive sources hence the price goes up. It will certainly change life as we know it. If fuel costs double this year or decade, it would certainly add to the depreciation of your average gas guzzler.

Fuel is cheap in the USA because it is not taxed.

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
I'm not sure what its like in NZ, but one of my mates is currently making biodeisel. he is getting his oil for free from small local shops.

He can only make aout 60L of the stuff a week though AFAIK because the shops can only give so much before the local authorities start to wonder where it is all going, and then of course the tax department kicks in and taxes the living hell out of you for making your own fuel...

Mind you, 40L would be more than enough to do the sort of driving I do every week.

I think they worked out the biodiesel to cost something like 33.2c/L for them to make in total.

At the moment fuel isnt seriously expensive anyway.

I found it quite comical that diesel was the same price as normal unleaded last night...

CMF_micra-man

» CMF Member
When I was in Eurpoe a few years ago we were paying A$1.70 in Finland and around A$2.00 - 2.40 in othe parts of Europe.

So until it hits that price in Australia, I think we are getting a bargain :)

cisco

» CMF Member
Yep our fuel price here is still totally a bargain.

Whileever people are screaming around in 6litre V8s and Holden can release a brand new 6L engine larger then before, you know fuel is cheap.

CMF_Tony

» CMF Member
Want to here something funny..

A mate i work with just brought a Suzuki Sierra to drive to work because of the cost of fuel.

His other car is a VN Commodore Group A that was costing his $60 aweek when we where paying around 80c a letre

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member

cisco

» CMF Member
Service station rage - where do these morons who do this get created? The staff should call the police and get them locked up.

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
THis is Tassie. You have some of the population down here who have never been outside Tassie and well their grasp on the wide world is very narrow.
Low employment rates in certain areas coupled with low education qualifications a problem.
Still you can walk down the street and complete strangers will say hi.
No serious crime/drugs as if you do a runner cops just stake out the airports and the ferries.No where to run no where to hide.
Can't remember a bank robbery.
Bloody marvellous Micra country .

Back