Front brake upgrades

Has anyone any good ideas in upgrade my sport sr (160 sr) it has newish drums and shoes (soon new handbrake cables)fronts are not that well used but it just doesn't stop well when needed!!I have a 1.2 3door that is far better but far to slow!!

Hi Stephen and good question, I have been looking at what callipers will fit my 1.2 did not write part numbers down but was going to ask does the 1.5 dci model have a different caliper.
My question regards to wanting to tidy up a set of calipers to be painted giving the option of swapping them over.
But mainly to rebuild a good set that will look tidy behind the wheel.

What make of front pads have you got fitted? I recommend Pagid pads, made a huge difference on the braking of my Sport +. When I got the car I fitted brand new Mintex discs and pads, but wasn't impressed with the braking, replaced the pads, after 1,000 miles or so, with Pagid and the difference was incredible...

Been running brembo pads here have had a good feel from first install I found disapointment with unknown type a few times now in other cars like they just not the same pretty much how you describe (Not stopping well when needed)
Would buy same ones again. The first pads that were on the micra seemed similar but not able to notice brand

pads and discs. they are already vented, no reason not to get grooved too. brembo max are my preferred, they do make them in the right size and bolt pattern but I'm not sure they are listed for the micra. I like pagid fastroad pads but they are insanely expensive these days. Rears, a good service is all they need and adjusting correctly, they aren't the prime stopping factor on the car but a good service will ensure that you aren't wasting effort pushing fluid to poorly set up drums that could be doing other work in the system. after that it's replace hoses (don't rush out and spend a fortune on braided, unless you plan to keep the car for 10+ years they wont feel any different to new rubber for that time). you'll be bleeding the system at this point, which will make the most difference of all, 5 year old brake fluid is garbage and one of the biggest reasons for spongy and poor brakes, it's also insanely easy to replace.

the brakes on there are more than good enough for the weight of the car if serviced correctly.

pads and discs. they are already vented, no reason not to get grooved too. brembo max are my preferred, they do make them in the right size and bolt pattern but I'm not sure they are listed for the micra. I like pagid fastroad pads but they are insanely expensive these days. Rears, a good service is all they need and adjusting correctly, they aren't the prime stopping factor on the car but a good service will ensure that you aren't wasting effort pushing fluid to poorly set up drums that could be doing other work in the system. after that it's replace hoses (don't rush out and spend a fortune on braided, unless you plan to keep the car for 10+ years they wont feel any different to new rubber for that time). you'll be bleeding the system at this point, which will make the most difference of all, 5 year old brake fluid is garbage and one of the biggest reasons for spongy and poor brakes, it's also insanely easy to replace.

the brakes on there are more than good enough for the weight of the car if serviced correctly.
I have had the vehicle for 8 years and at the moment have no intention of selling it as its just got 80,000 miles on it! I have a very good garage to do the work needed on the brakes that don't charge the earth to do so ? looks like a new set of pagid pads and a rear brake service when I get new handbrake cables fitted then. Will report back what difference it makes,cheers

Here are the part numbers for the front brakes:

Front brake discs:- 40206-AX600 (260mm Dia x 22mm thick)
Front brake pads:- 41060-AX625 (12.40 mm thickness)
Front brake caliper RIGHT:- 41001-AX601 (brake system TRW)
Front brake caliper LEFT:- 41011-AX601 (brake system TRW)
Front brake carrier (LH & RH) 7701059704 (Renault)
Front brake caliper Piston:- 41121-AX601(piston Dia 54mm/height 53.6mm
Front brake pad spring kit:- 41083-AX625
Front brake flexi hose:- 46210-AX606 (or AX601) ( length 615 mm )
Front brake banjo bolts:- 463560-E00A-----M10 x 1 x 22.8mm long
Front brake banjo sealing washers:- 46237- A4600
Front brake flexi hose retaining clip:- 462062 - J00A

The braking system is the same for the sports diesel and are strong enough to deal with the range of k12 micra's if correctly maintained, the system is also used in the Renault clio and modus range too so there will be bargains to be found if you wish to shop around.:unsure:

Back