For those of you still on 13" rims

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Hi there everyone who is still using 13" rims.

It has come to my attention that the excellent Toyo Proxes RA1 are available in 185/60R13.

This only puts your speedo out (reads slow) by 2.2% and gives you a bit more footprint and a crapload more grip! These are really excellent tyres. They are most definately a better option than the now aged Yokohama A539.

Cheers everyone.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
they are motorsport tyres though mate.

You will find good street legal tyres getting very hard to come by around the 175/60r13 size.

I am told these toyos are street legal and just perfect for someone who's considering a bit of trackwork. They also feature very fast warm up times so they're good for light cars and bearable on the street.

CMF_Snoopy

» CMF Member
Just remember that they should be on a 6 inch rim. These are excellent tyre. They ride rough for 60 profile because of the stiffer side wall. Check out the toyo website for tip on using the ra-1 before buying as they may not suit your driving conditions & style.

Nice find yom, alot of the swift gti drag racers use these tyres in the street class.

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
we dont have the ra-1 here in uk. we have the toyo t1r which is street performance tyre. and also the r888 which is for competition and track day but is also street legal, will wear out quite quick though but great traction, and ok for wet.

CMF_Nissanmania

» CMF Member
These are an awesome tyre but not suited to everyday use if you get any rain in your area. The grooves aren't deep enough (unless you get them regrooved - like the WRC cars) to stop aquaplaning in deep puddles. I've found that out driving on them on the highway. Scarey!

They fit the standard 13" Super S wheel fine - suited to 5-6.5" rims - though are better on 6-6.5" rims.

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
ah just seen the aussie toyo site, you get more type choice than we do, we just can get the r888 track tyre as an upgrade from the t1-r performance tyre.
we have so much more tyre size choice than you do though. your quite restricted. complain to toyo!

CMF_Nissanmania

» CMF Member
The R888's are an even better track tyre - stiffer sidewalls. Just less road friendly as dont have nice grooved tread like normal street tyres. A couple of years ago we only had 1 size of R888's available so we are doing alot better now!

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Also I got in touch with Yoko today and it seems they're still making the A539 in 175/60R13. Alot of tyre dealers cant be stuffed ordering it in though.

$120 each.

I am seriously considering sticking with 13" rims and just buying the Yoko A539's!! Just the brake upgrade will pose some problems. Argh

Back