FIXING Dizzy Distributor - Thanks TONYSLX - Photos + video

funky2nite

Ex. Club Member
Thanks to TONYSLX I've attached some brieg photo guide on accessing the dizzy.. mine's a 95reg K11 1.0L recently have been having severe etuttering and worse even kind of explosions/backfire beneath engine due to wrong firing due to distributor never checked or replaced and rotor arm in 14yrs. parts are on the way but after cleaning already improved... now I have funny rev meter readings but everything should be fixed when cap and arm arrives..

Thanks micra sports and thanks Tony once again.
I'm pointing with my index finger where clips or screws are.... for those new to the fix like I was....

Battery hjas to be removed and fuse enclosure unplugged from clip and screw

211020111507.jpg

211020111508.jpg

211020111510.jpg

211020111511.jpg

211020111512.jpg

211020111513.jpg

211020111514.jpg

211020111515.jpg

211020111516.jpg

211020111517.jpg

211020111518.jpg

211020111519.jpg

211020111520.jpg

211020111506.jpg

Hi
Ok heres what i think is happening to the rev counter ..... It looks like you have a rev counter wire added / spliced in to the ignition wiring ...... its the blue wire shown best in the tenth picture down with a glob of what appears to be sealant over it .... check this is a good connection .......... its been added and thats why its seperate and not inside the wiring loom but feeds back and is tied with cable clips ..... check the entire length of this for chaffs and short circuits (That is what it looks like to me ... i could be wrong and this could be a standard wire .... but i suspect its been added )

I suspect your cleaning up the parts a bit has disturbed it ... and what you might be seeing is the leaking sparks in the cap discharging into the blue rev counter signal feed wire ... thats my guess .... the new parts should correct it ..... imho .... or worst case the dizzy coil is on its way out but i think that very unlikely .... due to being abused with a 14 year old cap and rotor lol :) ........

I am not an expert on this ... so perhaps some others will have some feedback ..... like i say with that old cap and rotor my bet is the high voltage output of the coil is dancing about and going everywhere but where its meant to inside that cap..... like a disco diva :)

As most of our convo was in pm ..... and just to allow others to see the big picture ..... heres the story so far

Dizzy cap leaking high volts ... by the sound of it ,, causing missfire and backfires and rough running especially under heavy load

The cap and rotor are maybe 14 years old ...
you have changed the leads back to the oems, gapped plugs and cleaned up rotor and cap as best you can .... new ones on order ....... and it seems better

But rev counters now bouncing about after cleaning parts ......

BTW i think you can link from pin 2 on the ECU to the rev counter rather than having that blue wire coming all through the engine bay ...... please check its pin 2 as i am not certain ... if you chose to do it lol

Back