Fitness Thread

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
Hey guys,

Just a thread to let you post about your gym/fitness programs and how they're progressing

If you need any help or guidance, just let me know be it programming, exercise selection/modification, nutritional or lifestyle advice.

***I take no responsibility for any injuries or illnesses that may arise from information I have posted in this thread. You should seek full medical clearance or advice before commencing any fitness program, and before taking any advice you may read in this thread. In reading this, you have agreed to these terms***

CMF_Brendon

» CMF Member
ill start ball rolling.
My program.

gym 3 times a week plus touch footy and squash once a week
this is what i do every time i there

45 degree leg press 3x10 75kg (one leg at a time)
knee raises 3x 22
assisted chins 3x9 (35kg assist)
assisted dips 3x10 (35kg assist)
crunches gym ball 3x30
plank hold 2x 75seconds
roman back chair 3x15 10kg
push ups 3x12 balancing on medicine balls.
lat pull down 3x9 60kg

extras i do over
monday, wednesday and friday
incline bench press 3x8 45kg
over head military press with db 3x10 32kg
bicep curl
rows
squats 3x6 50kg
pec flys 3x10 30kg
arm raises 3x10 11kg
plus more but i mix these up during the week.
as with all these amount of reps and weight is increased as is needed

and eating well every 3 hours. try to eat as clean as possible.
breaky 7:30am always porridge or muesli and protein shake or eggs
10am tin of tuna
12pm sandwich or meat and veg
2pm tuna
pre workout protein shake or banana
dinner 8:30pm meat and vegies

thats what i try to stick to but i stipidly stuff it up sometimes by eating some chips or chocoalte. hehe oh well gotta live a bit.

also that easiest thing to do is to join a gym they will give you program and help you out as you need it. plus it ends up being cheaper than spending thousands on home equipment

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
Hey Brendo

How long is the gap before dinner after you've finished your workout? Sounds to me like you've got at least a 4hr gap.

And with the pre workout shake/banana, do you eat anything straight after? I'd recommend taking in at least 100gm of carbohydrate immediately to an hour after finishing your workout. You'd be amazed to see the difference it makes.

And who cares about chips or chocolate at this stage, you can't put on muscle and lose weight at the same time so you have to remain in an anabolic state (kilojoule excess). Then after a few months you can start cutting up if you want (but who honestly wants to de-train themselves and eat nothing but fluids?)

Also, how long have you been on the program above? You should re-evaluate/change programs every 4-6 weeks

Sean

CMF_Brendon

» CMF Member
the preworkout thing yeah usually eat something else just forgot to put it in.
yeah i gonna change programs next week. i been doing this one for 7 weeks.
when bulking to put on muscle you lose a lot of fat anyway. coz more muscle = more fat burning power!
i gonna start doing squats more often to coz they are hte greatest thign ever for back and legs.
also ognna do deadlifts to.

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
Not necessarily Brendo,

More muscle = higher metabolism... But if you want to REALLY maximise muscle growth what you should be doing is eating to excess so that your body doesn't need to revert to saved stores of fat. Most professional bodybuilders will have a bodyfat % of 3% during comp season, but will bump that up to 15%-20% while training for that very reason.

I'd also recommend a spotter for squats and deadlifts, and if you don't know how then ask for a demo from an instructor.

What are your reps like? How long does each one go for (ie, the up phase of a bench press, and then the down phase)

Sean

CMF_Brendon

» CMF Member
sean dont worry i dont squat or deadlift anything i know i wont be able to handle.
repa are slow and full range of motion. 1 second up 2 down.
yeah i know i should be eating in excess and believe me i will be able to do it. i know i could bulk up quicker but i already bigish anyway. i spose i should just go on a cutting phase now for 3 weeks or so to get rid of some fat especiallly round stomach area and do lots of high intensity cardio then ill bulk again.

cisco

» CMF Member
I just get in there, grab the bloody gym building by the handles and lift the whole thing up.

Pah!!!!!!!!!!!

Then slam it down.
Hehe nah just kidding.

This is a good thread though fellas.

CMF_Gareth

» CMF Member
Hey guys.

I havent joined a gym or anything, but embarked on mission 18 months ago to get fit, improve my diet and lose a a few kilos. When I started I was 82 kilos. I got it down to 69 kilos by last Christmas.

Basically breakfast is always Toast, or cereal, and as a snack I nearly always eat apples these days, sometimes low fat yoghurt. Lunch generally is two sandwiches consisting of lean meat such as chicken or turkey and salad, and dinner is what ever is going at home, but cous cous with roast vegatables and lean lamb with cummin has become a favourite. Very occassionaly I indulge in takeaway food, chocolate etc, which I think you have to do to stay on track, but it is VERY occasionally,

To get fit I bought a mountain bike. I started with a $120 **** job from Big W just to see if I would enjoy it. I have since upgraded the bike to a half decent $600 Apollo job. I ride it at least once a week anything from 10-30 k's depending on how much time I have (the furthest I have ridden is 55 k's). I also bought an excersise bike and used that heaps until one of my kids took the seat adjustment bolt thing out and lost it. Once I get a new bit I will get back into it.

Since Christmas I have started doing push ups and sit ups at least five times a week. At this stage I am doing between 60-120 push ups in sets of 30. And 200 sit ups which is two sets of 100. I hope to increase these numbers. But since I started doing them I have gone up to 70 kilos. So I have added 1 kilo in muscle, and am starting to see the results.

Anyway that is what I've been doing. So far it has worked for me.

CMF_Family Hack

» CMF Member
Hmm. Aerobic workout on da bike 3 times a week with a little strength
exercise on the grunt machine. 3 times a week strength. 1 day a week nothing.At my age need a recovery day. Funny, strength wise have lost little over the years but find endurance stuff getting harder.
Not into gyms. Find the loud music, guys, blokes looking at themselves in the mirror as they admire whatever a real turn off.
Anyway at home I can turn the TV on and decide whatever I want to exercise to.About 6/7 hours per week to exercise small price to pay to remain healthy and extend your lifespan.Makes you feel better about your whole being also.Its more than just physical.
Diet / just watch fatty foods and high sugar stuff.Lucky having a Vietnamese wife we eat mainly asian foods which tend to be rather healthy.Lots of fish / poultry.
Biggest issue as you get older the old metab. slows down and gravity takes over and it all slips down to your stomach.
Gee we are a healthy lot.
Anyway great to see young guns looking after themselves.I just want to get another 20years of good quality life before the grim reaper has me on his short list of things to do and when he does visit I can go down swinging.

CMF_Brendon

» CMF Member
recovery time is a huge part of gaining muscle.
over christmas i had 3 weeks off at gym and when i came back and got back into it i felt stronger and was able to do much better and lift more coz muscles had time to completely recover.

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
Recovery and stretching are highly underrated in terms of muscle gain.

And Brendo, try slowing down you rep range to a 4sec up and 4sec down. Thats quite an advanced training method, and when you start to fatigue, get a spot to lift the weight and then let go during the lowering phase while you fight the resistance. If it doesn't hurt, you're not doing it right.

We should meet up sometime and do ass to the grass squats dude!

Gareth, sounds good mate. Bike riding is amazingly effective for both strength and cardiovascular fitness!

Sean

CMF_Brendon

» CMF Member
i cant go that low on the squats my bum goes below knee height but cant go to much lower other wise the old knee starts to shout in pain.
4seconds!!! man i can give it a go. but 4 seconds! thats a long time. 8 secs per go.

cisco

» CMF Member
Hey in another side-tangent (sorry to hijack)..

The guy who owns my very first micra emailed me, he's selling it now. He's gunna slam it up for sale on this site..

But its still going strong and its gunna be for sale soon. Classic.. I always miss that car!

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
sheese, long time no post for me... well i've started MTB'ing on brothers dodgy huffy bike from around nov/dec 06. Trying to put money away for my own 'real' bike, but other bills/necissities keep poping up :-(. Took a nasty fall at speed over at medium-size drop on sunday, landed on left arm and shoulder > ripped shirt up and got heaps of cuts/grazes. But mtb'ing is soo much fun, i love it. Never ridden on real singletrack before, been watching some dvd mtb movies also, them downhill guys are just crazy. I got one of those heart-rate monitors so i dont give up on getting fit (cause i spent so much on the heart-rate thingy) takes 12weeks to form a habbit aparently. Found some dumbells at home that i started using last week, but alas havn't done anything since sunday. Nice to hear what people are doing when their not driving :p

/end ramblings

Alex

oh, i was reading up on all the food stuff just a week back, great learning about proteins and all that stuff.

CMF_Brendon

» CMF Member
hehe that picture is the reason why i never did mtb riding. i had friends who did it and they were always getting scratched up or popping out knees or breaking things. not good. but i know it would be great fun.

ok back on topic.

Sean pm me a program. i need to change mine now. still want a whole body workout. give me some ideas. i know the exercises just i dont know which ones compliment each other to make progress quicker.

CMF_Brendon

» CMF Member
ill pm you. ya dont have to do it. ill ask a trainer at gym.
goals pretty much, lose excess fat and muscle gain. i know cant do both but id liek to continue doing my usual amount of weights but i thinking i will add 20 minutes of cardio to each workout that will stimulate fat burn.

CMF_Family Hack

» CMF Member
Getting exhausted reading this thread. So many muscles riding around in little Micras!!( not me, I just wish)I think some of you guys just lift the car up when you want to change tyres.

CMF_micragirl

» CMF Member
simply_mighty WROTE:

"Oi stop laughing cisco!!<BR><BR>This whole thread was Brendo's idea, go laugh at him :p<BR><BR>What kind of program are you on at the moment Micragirl?<BR><BR>Sean

Have been thinking about joining a gym, I'm not very motivated when left to my own devices. Did heaps of beach walking last year and lost weight, but found that it did nothing to tone me up. Need to lose a bit around the middle, upper arms and legs. I have to be careful with my back, still have 2 lower disc bulges (old nursing injury) and at the moment am having probs with left heel (possibly achilles tendon) so will need a tailored program. You younguns sound pretty fit though, good on you for staying fit and healthy. It will pay off long term. :) Cheers guys

PS...Surprised myself at Xmas time that I was able to run for a fairly good distance, not bad for an older vintage model...if I do say so myself LOL

cisco

» CMF Member
Hey you actually can lift the rear of a micra up. You can move the rear of the car a foot or so.. They have no weight in the arse-end.

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Hey micragirl! I got down to 24 and that was like... getting everything about 90% correct. And yeh, it is really hard :) So Ive consistantly been getting 24/25/26 which is nearly my age! Once its down to 23, Ill be happy :)

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
I lost 10kg in around 3 months of joining a gym.

I wasnt even that overweight. Just a jelly belly and developing moobs from inactivity for the past few years.

And people on here who know me will know I wasnt exactly porky to start with haha.

Now I'm working on fitness and getting a bit more meat around the frame. Need to bring the weight up from 68kg to 78kg again - but this time no fat! :p

Back