Engine wants to die under light load when cold

Hi guys,

Hoping i might be able to pick your brains about a little problem with a micra thats been in the family from new for 17 years now :) its a 1.0 1995 model.

I've noted the problem manifests itself when starting from cold in particular when its damp or wet outside. The car initially fires up fine.

Then drive it down the road couple of hundred yards come to a junction and the idle revs I note are dipped. Go to add throttle and you have to over rev to stop it from dying. Give it the light normal touch and it will die and then I have to spend a good few mins with my foot on the floor as if the engine was flooded to get it to catch again.

Once the car is warm no issues. Its something I'd like to get a grip on as the car has another 10 years in her. The first time I drove it I was 18 and now at 35 she's mine as a hand me down daily.

I've kept these Kalashnikov's of the car world going before and its why I love them. If anyone has a starter for ten I've be grateful.

I was leaning towards damp in the electrics. After that fuel pump / throttle body.

Back