idle fast when cold

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
hi all, my little micra has a facelift 1.3 engine in it when it was originally a pre facelift LX

the car idles at about 1700rpm when cold.

anyone had this problem and know of a quick fix? the car is fine when it gets warm.

thanks ppl

Napster

And the Wide Green Bug
whoops, i meant 1400!! lol!!!
no it drops to around 500 mate. i can adjust the throttle cable though to up the idle

maddave

Club Member (Trial)
The idle should be a lot higher when cold. As long as it isn't idling like that when warm then thats ok.

does it have air con?

OP
OP
NeX

NeX

Club Member
thanks guys,

its alot higher than my other car which runs at 1200.

the car doesn't have A/C but it does have powersteering, the MOT said it had a lambda reading which was right on the limit.

i put the engine so i don't trust it at all lol.

when its warm its about 500 which is fine...

frank

Club Member
nex

on mine there,s a thermostat valve that turns a cam which holds the throttle open when cold, try adjusting that
and a black plastic screw on the other side to adjust the idle mixture

OP
OP
NeX

NeX

Club Member
nex

on mine there,s a thermostat valve that turns a cam which holds the throttle open when cold, try adjusting that
and a black plastic screw on the other side to adjust the idle mixture

cool thanks mate :D

i think i know the bit you mean, but i am just wondering why it got like that in the first place, cos i am sure when i put the engine in it ran fine.

frank

Club Member
nex

if you tap a multimeter into the middle lambda wire, you can set the idle mixture on that plastic screw (very short allen key needed)

OP
OP
NeX

NeX

Club Member
nex

if you tap a multimeter into the middle lambda wire, you can set the idle mixture on that plastic screw (very short allen key needed)

ah cool :D i will give that a try,

what does the lambda actually read?

frank

Club Member
nex

0 to 1 volts, .5 is what your aiming for but the stock narrowband lambda,s are very sensitive and they swing a fair bit
on gas i aim for .7/.8v foot down, .5 cruising and it drops right down on lift

OP
OP
NeX

NeX

Club Member
nex

0 to 1 volts, .5 is what your aiming for but the stock narrowband lambda,s are very sensitive and they swing a fair bit
on gas i aim for .7/.8v foot down, .5 cruising and it drops right down on lift

ah i see :D that kind of info should be a sticky cos that is really useful :D thanks

OP
OP
NeX

NeX

Club Member
hhmmmm true but this engine is from a facelift with only 40k on the clock it should still be ok