engine conversons

cisco

» CMF Member
A turbo is no more illegal than a GA16DE. Both would have to be engineered if you want to keep it legal.

cisco

» CMF Member
Oh, is there a new law now that just says "P Platers can't have a turbo anything" ? :) That's cool. heh.

CMF_kré

» CMF Member
yeah it has been around for a couple of years now. cant drive any turbo cars or v8s unless they get some kind of exception (ie. that's the only car in the family or something like that). pretty stupid really.

CMF_xero

» CMF Member
because it bans things like euro turbo cars such as audi, volvo, saab, VW, which have 11ty times better crash rating that any of the japanese or aussie econobox's or "family cars".
and only up until recently turbo diesels were banned as well.

CMF_kré

» CMF Member
exactly what xero said. if they are going to do something like that it should be based more on something like power-to-weight or even power-to-safety-rating rather than something completely as arbitrary as whether it has a turbo or not. it would be much easier for someone to kill themselves in a honda s2000 than in a mid 90's model low pressure turbo volvo.

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Yeah but it's infinitely more easy to police a system based on something as simple as having a turbo or not rather than power-to-weight ratios (as used in the past) or Power-to-safety-rating, which wouldn't work either. With a Power-to-safety-rating system, you could get a fresh P-plater, straight from their L's, into a brand new 5-star safety rating car and the kid could drive it like a complete idiot, thinking they're invincible. In that case - they're more likely to cause harm to others as they could end up smashing into the side of someone and walk away unscathed, while the other person they smashed into in a 1-star rating K11 Micra might not.

In practice is impossible to determine when looking at some P-plater's car on the side of the road as to whether it's legal under the previous Power-to weight laws. The reason they've changed it to how it is now is because they don't give a **** if it's restricting the amount of 'fun' cars you can drive - they're probably just doing it so they can reduce the road toll or whatever their current reasoning is.

As for the S2000 comment, If you're a P-plater driving an S2000 then you're someone that either done very well for their age, has gotten their license very late (and is likely still inexperienced) or someone that's had their mummy and daddy shell out for a convertible sports car.

As for boosted euroboxes, if it bothers you that much, go buy a non-turbo one (it's not like they're hard to find).

I don't know about the RTA, but in Victoria, there's several exceptions to the no-turbo legislation, including the turbo-diesel thing and if you'd bothered to have a look around, you'd find articles like <a href="http://www.themotorreport.com.au/24301/mercedes-benz-congratulates-vicroads-on-common-sense-ruling/">these</a> which demonstrates that exceptions are being made so new P-platers can drive <em>some</em> turbo cars still.

Additionally, there are forms available by vicroads to apply for the ability to use a turbo vehicle according to <a href="http://www.arrivealive.vic.gov.au/files/pdf/gls/ApplicationLPST_Vehicle.pdf">this document</a>, if the car is:

• Turbocharged or supercharged with a power to weight ratio of less than 100kW per tonne

• Turbocharged or supercharged with a power to weight ratio between 100kW and 125kW per tonne and that are considered to be a family type vehicle (4 or more seats) rather than a sports type vehicle.

---dens

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
drop an SR20 in there..who cares if its legal or not...no cops pop the bonnet on a nissan micra :)

and even if they did..an SR20 looks pretty at home in the engine bay.

and no turbo :)

how i wish I put an sr20 in my old car.

CMF_tris

» CMF Member
howbout go one further and put in a twin turbo 2jz-gte. probably have to mount it in the boot hahah, if your cought with any engine conversion your in trouble anyway.... might aswell just risk it.

as for the p-plate laws, its good in some ways, bad in others, im still on p's so it pisses me off, but at the same time i know theres not a bunch of big headed teenagers driving around in their vl turbos that could potentially pose a threat to my safety. only a few mths till i can drive whatever the f*** i want!!

CMF_kré

» CMF Member
deNs WROTE:

"Yeah but it's infinitely more easy to police a system based on something as simple as having a turbo or not rather than power-to-weight ratios etc...
---dens

tbh, i'm 29 years old so i don't really care /that/ much :D

smidge

» CMF Member
• Turbocharged or supercharged with a power to weight ratio of less than 100kW per tonne

i guess the superturbo falls into that category - get one of them!

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
kré WROTE:

"tbh, i'm 29 years old so i don't really care /that/ much :D

Haha yeah fair enough :p I'm currently 22, got my license late and won't be off my green P's 'til october, but still legally allowed to drive turbo cars as long as they are roadworthy (engineered, etc.) and still under the Power-to-weight laws. I don't give that much of a **** either but was just curious as to why you thought they were stupid laws (especially now since I know you're 29 ;)) - thought you'd want to keep those damn kids off your lawns, haha!

evade WROTE:

"no cops pop the bonnet on a nissan micra :)

and even if they did..an SR20 looks pretty at home in the engine bay.

Yup, half the reason I'm kind of suprised people on here care that much about the 'Turbo' laws.

About SR's in K11's.. Not a huge fan of the thought of all the extra weight in the front - I'd take a turbo CG over N/A SR20DE any day, but SR16VE or SR20VE.. yeaaaaaaaaaaah! Ideally though I'd love a FR-config CA18DE+T or something like that. A man can dream...

---dens

CMF_kré

» CMF Member
i'm currently sitting in my rocking chair on my front porch with my shotgun and laptop waiting for the kids to show their faces...

CMF_daily_ricer

» CMF Member
My hand's up on that...

Hands up if you've spent all night sponging, shampooing and deodorising the inside of your mums work car because a mate in the back seat spilt bong water all over the place as a result of that burnout on somebody else's lawn...

lol

You can get the stain out, but only time gets rid of the smell :(

We're lucky in SA at the moment, in that they don't have curfews or rules re passengers after a certain time or the power of cars that L and P platers are able to drive. They are pushing hard for it though.

CMF_tris

» CMF Member
daily_ricer WROTE:

"My hand's up on that...

Hands up if you've spent all night sponging, shampooing and deodorising the inside of your mums work car because a mate in the back seat spilt bong water all over the place as a result of that burnout on somebody else's lawn...

HAHAHHAAHAHHAH THATS GOLD!!

i can put my hand up, except the lawn i did it on was an appartment block who let down my tyres for parking in their underground spots!!

pretty much asked for it to be honest.....

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
I wouldn't want to comment on the lawns, golf courses, etc.
No turbo laws here or restrictions on what cheap used jap imports can be purchased.
A 150kW QR25DE should be an easier fit than the SR & better on gas.

cisco

» CMF Member
Not so sure about the weight balance on an SR or a QR in a tiny micra?
How much heavier are these engines? You'd think it'd be pretty front heavy and not go around corners so well..

But I love the idea though totally agree. A turbo micra is so custom and impractical that you spend your life going around in circles piss farting around with so many things going wrong. At least with an SR/QR conversion you would have an enormous supply of used parts available, unlike going the turbo CG13DE route. But it'd also be pretty tricky to work on an SR crammed into that tiny engine bay :) Surely some simple maintenance tasks would become a lot harder because you can't reach every bolt etc.

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
The original 130kW@6000rpm 244Nm@4000rpm QR25DE with balancer shafts is 13 percent lighter and 30mm shorter than the SR20DE, being a more compact, lightweight diecast design.

The newer 150kW@6600rpm 240Nm@5200rpm QR25DE in the 2007+ SE-R with fully balanced crank doesn't have balancer shafts so is possibly a little lighter, although many people have sucessfully removed the balancer shafts from the earlier version.

These numbers look pretty good compared with what are physically bigger heavier motors:
110kW@6400rpm 186Nm@4800rpm SR20DE
150kW@7200rpm 206Nm@5200rpm P12 SR20VE

Back