ecu's and re-mapping

superls

K10 Tuner
hi everyone,

got a few questions, ideally aimed at ed, but anyone feel free to add to the conversation.

ive been looking into getting my k11 mapped, i actually wanted to do my k10, but seeing as i dont have it anymore i cant

im planning a few light mods which ive read would be supported with a re-map, it will have been cammed, ported and polished head, plenum chamber type inlet, poss bigger injectors (ga16??) exhaust, plus possibly a few others.

so ED if i brought my car down to you to have the stock ecu re-mapped, how would you do it? would you use a nistune board? if so which one?

im looking at doing it as a sort of project for myself, i.e. doing the mapping etc and basically want to know the way i should go, ive read tonnes od stuff about ecu's and they either go round in circles or rave about 1 paticular ecu.

is the only way to map the stock ecu to fit a daughter board?

is the nistune stuff fairly easy to get on with and user friendly?

right to throw something else into the mix, probably next year ill be looking into boosting it, turbo or supercharger i dont know yet, not got that far. is the stock ecu remapped able to cope with boosting? or would i need somethign aftermarket? omex 600 or similar?

what would you use to map a boosted k11?

i just want to make sure i buy something now that will fit both purposes (if possible) to save me shelling out twice.

secondally, im looking at wideband o2 sensors and controllers, any recomendations?

Cheers scott

hey scott, i know that NisTune is using MAF and not MAP. Many people say that MAF is not way to go with turbo. But Im sure nistune is capable of managing turbo in micra, but you wont probably get full potential.

Pretty much All Nissan, Mitsubishi, Subaru cars use MAF sensors on their turbo models. There is absolutely no problem in doing so, and offer many advantages over a MAP, however in extreme power cars they do have several limitations. Its not a problem you'll ever encounter on a Micra though.

The Innovate LC1 controller and display are easy to recommend.

Depending on your ECU would dictate what method is needed to tune it. If its a full nats type then I would use a nistune type 4 board. If it was a non nats, then currently I have to use a rom board and emulators, however that ECU does have some annoying limitations that are as yet to be properly resolved by anyone.

is the only way to map the stock ecu to fit a daughter board?, Yes no other option.

Is the nistune stuff fairly easy to get on with and user friendly? - depends entirely on your ability and understanding of how ecus work.

NATS ecus work perfectly for turbo applications. Non nats ones dont due to the limitations yet to be removed.

Cheers,

Ed

sorry forgot to put up in the post, its a 96 micra 1.3 sr with full blown nats, ( i think, i have a nats remote and nats window stickers)

so it looks like a nistune type 4 board is the way to go, i have a fairly good understanding of how ecu's work, but this will be the first project of this type for me, so im sure it will be a steep learning curve, (which is what im after) i want to begin just tinkering with the base map with the few mods i have at the moment.

cheers for the usefull info there ed, is the k11 throttle body up to a turbo appliation or would i need another one?

Re: wideband, ime seen that name around during my research, but just wanted someone who knows what there on about to recommend one.

Cheers scott

ed have you used a nistune type 4 board on a per facelift NATS ECU as on the nistune site it specifically says the type 4 board is for facelifts.

Type for will only work with the larger square ecus/transponder keyring. If the car has that then it will work.

sound, ok thanks for the confirmation, didnt want to buy something that wont work, downloaded all the manuals and going to be doing loads of research on it, before i blow my engine up.

another quicky, if i got another cg13 NATS ecu from a pre-facelift from the scrappers or similar, will i be able to do a direct swap for mine, or is the NATS built into the ecu?
i just want to have a backup ecu to modify with the nistune, just incase anything happens.

ED, seeing as your a UK distributer of Nistune, can you price me a few bits.

does the nistune board come as a kit inc software and cable etc or does it have to be bought seperately?

if as a 'kit' how much are they?

if not how much are the individual bits id need?

BTW i want a type 4 board (as you suggest above)

Whats uk stock levels like or do they have to be shipped in to order?

scott

It can come as a kit.
£180 for board.
£70 for cable.
Software is £150.

I sold my last type 4 last week. I'll be getting some more in a couple of weeks time.

Ah ok then, usb will be better as my laptop deosnt have a serial port,

can you let me know when these come back in stock please.

If you wish to order ill take a deposit now. (half) can you call me to arrange this any time soon?

If you wish to order ill take a deposit now. (half) can you call me to arrange this any time soon?

Hi ed only just seen this, ill call you next week after pay day, what payment methods do you take? do i just call your number and ask for ed?

Thats not going to happen I'm afraid. Totally different setup and entirely different ecu and hardware compared to early ECU's. Later Bosch ECUs are MUCH harder to work on.

Just a couple of points that I'd like some clarification on as I'm looking into some similar things.

How many types of ECU will I find on 1.3 K11 Micras? Is it just no-NATS and NATS or are there two different NATS ECU's (one of the answers above seems to suggest there are but it's not quite clear).

The basic summary seems to be that the no-NATS ECU can be tweaked but is limited whilst the NATS ECU can be quite comprehensively re-programmed to cope with quite a bit of engine tweakage. Am I basically right on this?

Iain

There are problems with all versions due to the decompiling of the firmware being incomplete. The Nats versions tend to have less issues however.

What gains can be had on a non-NATS ECU'ed 1.3 K11 ?

What would be needed and how much, including rough RR time - thanks :)

Back