Cruise control

CMF_Auto-mate

» CMF Member
Well, yes, I see no reason why not.

I have had a VDO cruise control installed in my 2000 1.3 SE CVT and it works fine.

I also used to have a cruise control added to my previous K11, a 1.3 CVT from 1994. That was a "John Gold" brand which had one quirk: it always did a minor speed drop upon first setting of a newly chosen speed. It tended to drop by 2 kph and then recover. Subsequent re-engagement went fine. I tried to improve it by fiddling dip switch settings as explained in the manual, but usually then another quirk came up. So in the end I didn't bother.
In fact it was slightly more precise than the VDO installation that I now have; this one sometimes varies the speed with up to 3 kph, which is noticeable. Still more precise than my own foot!
Cruise control assists in getting good fuel mileage; it also makes it more agreeable to not exceed max speeds without paying attention to it all the time - which is more frustrating than the speed limit by itself.

Note: in Nissan CVT cars, the cruise control needs to be fitted so that its servo cable acts on the accellerator pedal itself, IN the car interior. If it is installed in the more common way to act further downstream near the engine side of the throttle cable, CVT management gets confused because a microswitch signal from the accelerator pedal itself is missing. At first I ended up having to still push the pedal a little to keep the CVT computer happy!

[Any image shown below is not mine ...]

CMF_david (2)

» CMF Member
I was just wondering if you could give me some idea what to look for to see if my cruise control was installed in the correct position or not...i have a SLX CVT 1996 model.

Back