Coolant flush?

Craig

Unofficial Member (Gold)
Club Member
Hi, my car has been sat still for a good while and I',m somewhat concerned with the state of the coolant in it - is there a product that I can use to fulsh the system and hopefully remove any scale etc deposits so that the engine doesn't overheat when it's back on the road?
Cheers Craig

How long has it stood idle and what was in the system before hand? Was there still antifreeze still at the recommended levels?

Personally I would drain the system and use a hose to flush the system then fill with antifreeze and water at recommended concentrations.

Probably about 3 months idle now - it did have coolant in with the water - not sure what %s though, I was told that it was done by a garage.
Is it worth me running it with quite a high % of coolant for say 50 miles and then giving it a good flush and replacing the coolant fluid?
Craig

we used to drain and fill with a bottle of toilet bleach and water start it to circulate let it tick over until thermastat opens then drain and flush with hose pipe.....amazing how much scum and debri this loosens up.........and it dont hurt the engine lots of garages use this method

Personally I would say three months is nothing. I would drain it into a bucket and check for any problems. Flush with a hose through the top and then backwards flush through the radiator drain plug. Do as sonic say and use a flushing chemical as well if really concerned.

Back