Clicking Starter Motor

CMF_ChrisB

» CMF Member
Hi,

I am having some problems with my 98 K11 micra. Sometimes when I turn the ignition, I get a clicking sound from the starter motor and it doesnt turn over. After a few tries it eventually turns. I was wondering if this might be to do with the contacts, and how I might go about cleaning/replacing them?

THanks Alot,

Chris

CMF_ChrisB

» CMF Member
Hi Frank,

Thanks for the suggestions. I have removed what I think is the earth lead - it is attached by a bolt and nut at the side of the starter - and noticed it had what looked like some white oxidization on the contact. Tried cleaning this oxidization off a bit with a wire brush and it seems to work better. What would be the best way to really clean this oxidization off? I was also wondering where the power comes into the starter cant see this is. Also if I do want to remove the starter were abouts are the bolts I need to undo?

Thanks Alot

Chris.

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
the earth lead is attached to one of the 2 starter bolts chris (more accessible by removing the clutch cable bracket iirc)
and the power and actuation wires are fitted to the solenoid on the side of the starter motor

frank

CMF_ChrisB

» CMF Member
Thanks alot for the advice. I cleaned up all the contacts on the starter motor with a wire brush and it seems to be starting everytime now. Going to test it before I park it somewhere else because - I dont want to have to get a tow from my mum if it breaks again :). One weird thing is that when I start turn the ignition it only fires after I have turned the key and I am returning it to the "on" position - not when the key is fully turned. Didnt used to do that, not sure if it is something I should be worried about.

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
ChrisB WROTE:

"Thanks alot for the advice. I cleaned up all the contacts on the starter motor with a wire brush and it seems to be starting everytime now. Going to test it before I park it somewhere else because - I dont want to have to get a tow from my mum if it breaks again :). One weird thing is that when I start turn the ignition it only fires after I have turned the key and I am returning it to the "on" position - not when the key is fully turned. Didnt used to do that, not sure if it is something I should be worried about.

yeh, mine often does that chris, there,s quite a voltage drop when the starter is engaged which will weaken the spark eh

frank

CMF_Mike R

» CMF Member
a starter motor has 2 sets of coils in the solenoid . both are powered by the starting key . and one is earthed via the starter motor . once the starter is spinning the motor no longer earths the 2nd coil and the contacts are held by the starting key , I had this problem on a fiat , turned out out the motor bushes needed replacing , which caused the problem you have ... just hit the starter motor with a spanner to prove the point ...

Back