Central Locking

Hi all, hopefully someone can help with this

The central locking on our L plate Super S has started to play up. The passenger door keeps locking and unlocking itself, often at an alarming rate! This can happen when the car is moving or if you've walked to the car and unlocked it (remote so dont use any locks manually). The only way to stop this happening as your driving along is to put slight pressure on the driver's door's locking button and this stops it from happening. With this in mind i've stripped the drivers door, greased and made sure nothing has slipped but it's still happening.

Any ideas folks, its a factory fitted remote locking system.

Big big thanks if anyone can give any helpful ideas.

Mark

Hi all, hopefully someone can help with this

The central locking on our L plate Super S has started to play up. The passenger door keeps locking and unlocking itself, often at an alarming rate! This can happen when the car is moving or if you've walked to the car and unlocked it (remote so dont use any locks manually). The only way to stop this happening as your driving along is to put slight pressure on the driver's door's locking button and this stops it from happening. With this in mind i've stripped the drivers door, greased and made sure nothing has slipped but it's still happening.

Any ideas folks, its a factory fitted remote locking system.

Big big thanks if anyone can give any helpful ideas.

Mark

factory fitted remote central locking on a super s, that is very rare.

the system may work differently to the newer stuff because its so old, but normally you have coming from each motor: two thick wires to power the motor, a small signal wire that is usually orange, that tells the control box if the lock state has changed, and then an earth wire.

If this was an issue with the signal from the passenger motor then all the locks would be doing the same thing, the lock is being forced by the motor which means it is getting a signal to do that, so i would say the first place to look is the central locking control box in the drivers foot well.

the signal wire connects to ground or disconnects depending on the state of the lock, if this wire was barely touching earth in some way it could cause a spark that would make it flick back and fourth but again it would do it on all the doors, so unless you have a problem with the drivers door motor, i would say the problem is in the control box, maybe some how it has got condensation in it, or the plugs are loose.

Mant thanks to NeX for the reply.

Had chance to take a look at the car today and found the following: Inside the drivers door near to the door latch mechanism there is some kind of contact or connection, looks to be a round shape as far as i can see! As said, it looks like an electrical connection that attaches to the latch and the rod that comes down from the internal door handle. Whilst i was wiggling the connection the passenger door was locking and unlocking itself. Does anyone know what this part is and how easy it is to replace?

Many thanks
Mark

Back