Cams

CMF_AB-NRML

» CMF Member
256° on both intake and exhaust and 8.35mm lift. The lift is 0.2mm more than stock iirc. Which is why they can go straight in.

Mickb has some pretty wild cams for sale that he got custom made. Something like 270° or 280° and 10.xxmm lift. These would require a lot of work to fit. Valve springs, retainers, fly cut pistons (I think)

Piper cams in the UK make cams for the cg13 in a stage 1,2, or 3. Their stage 1 is very similar to the Tomei.

CMF_gee-aye-dee

» CMF Member
Cams don't kick in. they are always working. The variance in cam lobe sizes and shape alters the valve lift and duration (amount the valves open and how long they stay open). Which in turn will give you better scavenging and swirl inside the cylinder, more intake charge(air-fuel mixture) etc, usually more beneficial in the mid to upper rev range.

Which is why you usually hear cars with a lumpy cam barely idling. I'm not too familiar with the specs of the standard cams, but without lots of work i wouldn't go too aggressive especially for a street driven n/a car.

CMF_AB-NRML

» CMF Member
Frank, did he say why he couldn't get them working properly? Was it a turbo or na?

This news worries me cos I'm getting danvillans tomei poncams. I also have the Mulholland cam sprockets from mickb so I'm hoping I can get it all together and running nicely with a Nistune.

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
AB-NRML WROTE:

"Frank, did he say why he couldn't get them working properly? Was it a turbo or na?

This news worries me cos I'm getting danvillans tomei poncams. I also have the Mulholland cam sprockets from mickb so I'm hoping I can get it all together and running nicely with a Nistune.

N/A iirc mate, and his last pm said that he changed to another stock ecu, and he said "the car runs great"
try a pm to him

CMF_Thieme

» CMF Member
Apperently I have an account here to.
As of now my car runs fine and the lumpy idle is within expected boundries. The car just needed a lot of tweaking on the throttle body (GA15 one).
The only thing that is still "off" is that I would have expected more power out of it. I presume that the timing chain is contributing to that. Engine has run 213K KM's and I am not aware the chain has ever been changed so it must be pretty stretched. My guess is you should be fine with your mullholland cam sprockets if you time them up properly.

Good luck!

CMF_AB-NRML

» CMF Member
Ah Thieme, thank you for sharing your experience here!
I'm hoping the Mulholland cam sprockets will allow me to get the timing right. Will be fitting a new timing chain and tentioner with the cams.

CMF_Thieme

» CMF Member
Look forward to seeing your results
Have you also considered putting in 1.0 pistons for the extra CR?
Cams love compression ratio. For me it was sadly a bit undoable because I was in a rented workshop and it is my daily.

CMF_AB-NRML

» CMF Member
I have been looking around for forged pistons. If they prove to be too expensive or impractical I'll probably go the 1.0 pistons.
I will be using my fathers garage at home to do the work. So I have some space and time. But my micra is my daily too so it might be best to rebuild a low mileage motor and swap it in over a weekend.

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
it would be interesting to see how much the compression figures drop with the tomei,s fitted.
my experience with cams are that they can easily add 10hp to the top-end (4 to 7k), but they are usually actually slightly slower when daily driving.
1.0 pistons are the perfect bedfellow :)

CMF_AB-NRML

» CMF Member
So what you're saying Frank is that I should do compression test before and after fitting cams...
Ok, if I remember I'll do that. For the sake of interest and the community.

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
AB-NRML WROTE:

"So what you're saying Frank is that I should do compression test before and after fitting cams...

Ok, if I remember I'll do that. For the sake of interest and the community.

yes :) assuming the inlet valves close 17 deg later with the tomei,s (256/222 deg) then i guess the static C/R will drop from 160ish psi to 150ish

CMF_AB-NRML

» CMF Member
Ok, will see if I have the money to test and report the results when I get the cams put in. Only a 5 min operation to check compression so I'm sure the shop will have no problem doing before and after cams for me.

CMF_Mickb

» CMF Member
AB-NRML WROTE:

Mickb has some pretty wild cams for sale that he got custom made. Something like 270° or 280° and 10.xxmm lift. These would require a lot of work to fit. Valve springs, retainers, fly cut pistons (I think)

Lies this is :)
Stock valve springs, stock retainers, stock pistons.

CMF_AB-NRML

» CMF Member
Mickb WROTE:

"AB-NRML WROTE:

"</div>

Lies this is :)

Stock valve springs, stock retainers, stock pistons.

It seems I was misinformed. so the right thing to do was buy them to find out what they are like :)

May have some tomei poncam for sale in a few months if I like these wilder cams.

Back