Brakes Failed/Faded!

Turtle

Ex. Club Member
Hi All, some fast advice would be handy...

Driving to school this morning, on the dual carrideway going 70mph. Turned off onto the sliproad at 70 and braked firmly... felt as if the brakes wernt slowing me down anything like they should so I really put my foot down hard, still not getting as much braking as I'd have liked...

Used 3rd gear to help and stopped ok but it wasnt fun really, so im worried. Feels like the front brakes wernt working, the brakes were just soft, not sharp like they used to be.

I did brake quite hard for the previous roundabout, so could they have overheated/faded or maybe they are worn out completely (about 2mm was left on the front pads when I checked last month)...

What shall I do? Gotta drive home soon! Thanks...

2mm isnt that much at all, i'd suggest changing them. Mine are currently like that too and its got its MOT tomorrow :S

Does your warning light come on when you throw it round corners? Also, have you checked how much brake fluid you have? There will be less brake fluid in the fill up pot thing if your pads are worn.

Thanks for the quick reply. Gonna drive home now, I'll just take it easy but they do work so I should be ok.

I'll take off the wheel and check em this afternoon. Didnt notice any lights.

Edit: Got home :p Still got the unresponsive feeling, although the fluid is almost full. Its a bit like the feeling you get when you try braking without the engine running.

The pads should definitly be the first thing you check and work from there. You could have a fluid leak, however dont assume that if the amount of fluid you have is low. Like i said, it drops when your pads are worn - When were they last changed?

Absolutely aaaages ago :grinning:

Havent got a record of them ever being changed by us, weve owned it since 1999.

wow 7 years! I had mine changed last year and the year before that.

You should check the rear ones too then whilst your at it.

when the pads start to get thinner they overheat more. when worn down to minimum they start to get useless.

you could have some air in the brakes also so they might need bleeding. Try changing the pads first though, that will probably sort it out.

Pads are changed, not really run in yet so its difficult to tell what it feels like. Hopefully its all better, but im not too optimistic.

i would say going that you havent had the brake fluid changed for a while (7 years) that you got vapour lock or maybe you boiled the brake fluid, get the brake fluid changed asap

get a new pair of disks, (fairly cheap) and a new set of pads (preferably mintex, they bit better than anything ele i've seen) and then change the brake fluid and bleed it all up. While your at it, you may need to replace the back cylinders because i should think the nipples will snap off when you try to undo them, and it'll be worth while cleaning the drums and shoes ans setting them al up nicely. You should then have superb brakes.

Thanks for the advice guys, haynes manual says change brake fluid every 2 years :glance: so i'll do that soon before we have too many hot days.

Never done it before though, requires 2 people I think...

you can do it with one person, use one of those 1 man bleding thingys. However, what i would do - is put the car on stands all the way around, then open al the nipples and wait for the fuild to empy then add new stuff, and when it starts running through clean, shut all the nipples and then start bleeding the system.

Back