Best repair for tear in rubber weatherstripping?

I have a small tear in the rubber stripping in the tailgate and wondered what experts here would recommend to save in cost of a new one this side of Xmas. I tried some silicone but it didn’t seal it back together so to speak. At the moment I have some duct tape over it but looking for something a bit more robust if anyone can suggest anything? A better silicone brand, waterproof tape, a self sealing patch, I’m not sure? Thanks

It's a blown rubber material (most likely not rubber but epdm) not much will stick and hold. You could try vulcanising rubber cement and a patch (think inner tube) but it won't last a day I wouldn't have thought.

Thank you, the tear is about 1cm wide bottom right hand corner and the rest of the strip appears to be in good condition. I cant afford a new weatherstrip, would superglue work to join the two sides. (There is no material missing - just the tear)
Thanks

Thank you, thats a shame, it a about 1cm wide in bottom right hand corner and no material missing just a tear. I cant really afford to replace the whole strip at the moment. Would superglue work two join the two sides or too brittle? (My main worry there is if it fails it will tear it more)

Thank you, thats a shame, it a about 1cm wide in bottom right hand corner and no material missing just a tear. I cant really afford to replace the whole strip at the moment. Would superglue work two join the two sides or too brittle? (My main worry there is if it fails it will tear it more)
How about eBay, local brakers, replace it with used one?! ;)

What I’m dealing with..

Attachments

• 73DD42C3-B626-486C-906D-BD54C1ED2CC2.jpeg
    73DD42C3-B626-486C-906D-BD54C1ED2CC2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 72
  • 10AC4D56-EEF3-43C0-BB6B-892C136A4E1A.jpeg
    10AC4D56-EEF3-43C0-BB6B-892C136A4E1A.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 73
Thank you for the advice folks, i just dont have the budget or skills to renew right now so wondering what will stick it, at least temporarilly. Thanks

Contact cement (glue) and bicycle inner tube patch, but to be frank with you, it works out more expensive to keep buying different items to temporarily deal with the problem.?

Back