best engine oil for a k11

toplad

Buy & Sell Member
what is the best engine oil , for a k11?
At present I use gm(vauxhall) 10w40 semi synthetic oil , the bloke at the local factors recomended me this oil (£11.99 for 5 litres)

what is the best engine oil , for a k11?
At present I use gm(vauxhall) 10w40 semi synthetic oil , the bloke at the local factors recomended me this oil (£11.99 for 5 litres)

Yeah the reason he recomended that oil is because thats what hell make the most profit off of, Vauxhall is the absolute cheapest even compared to a drum of the same quantity with the vauxhall in plastic cans.

Personally however I think 20K service intervals are madness.

Well its when there is so much difference between 20K miles from one driver to another. For example give somone like Arnold (haha) a car with a 20K service intervall it will probably expolode, give the same car to somone sensible.. hmm cant think of anyone sensible here, and it would be ok. at least 10K gives a margin for error :)

Well its when there is so much difference between 20K miles from one driver to another. For example give somone like Arnold (haha) a car with a 20K service intervall it will probably expolode, give the same car to somone sensible.. hmm cant think of anyone sensible here, and it would be ok. at least 10K gives a margin for error :)

lmao! I treat my car to regular services! I've lost count how many dizzy caps, leads, rotor arms, water changes etc that thing's had! Shes had a rough life, but i have spent alot on keeping it going

i use 10/40 Castrol GTX oils in mine, although for some reason, it does run better on Halfords own

Haynes manual say's 15W/40 oil...

I was going to buy some castrol gtx, but that was 10W40 then i saw some 15W40.... Castrol GTX High Mileage!! I was offended!

what's the first number mean?

- Anthony

basically the first number indicates the thiness of the oil , ie 10w40 is thinner on start up than 15w40 , however they are both the same thickness when warm as the 2nd number is the same , in this case 40.
the lower the first number the better it is on cold starts.etc

stick with a 10w40 oil unless your engine has done over 100k on the clock

I've done about 130,000kms.
Have exhaust manifold.

I'm in Sydney, Australia. We just about never get temp's lower than 5 degress celcius in winter.

You reckon 15w40 is too thick?

I use Nissan main dealer oil - and change oil every 6 months. IMHO a few cheaper oil / frequent changes are best.
The expensive stuff just degrades more slowly but can lead to acid build up if not changed for a while.

Back