Bass - Where about? 1 for pete

K10Daz

RIP Colin McRae 1968-2007
One for pete here as subject says! Its not direcly micra related but hey! My mates got a BMW 318 an hes jus bought 2 12" subs and a fairly decent amp, the problem is the sound proofing! Because its a saloon you cant get the bass throo to the car! Open the boot and you are deafened by it! Some guy said to cut away the metal plates on the back of the seat, another said to rip the parcel shelf out and put a new one in!

Anybody got any ideas?

Cheers in advance!

Daz :alien:

apparently to get serious bass you need a fourth order band pass!!!

dunno what that means in english but monty from bass mechanix informed me this is the best way lol

you cant get rid of the parcel shelf in a saloon car as it is part of the car's chasis. The way to get round it is to build the sub box into the back of the boot and using the rear oem speaker holes as sub ports as well as the ski hatch.

Mike

The parcel shelf obviously has to move as there is speakers already in it! So it has to be able to dismantle to get into the speaker if it ever needed replacing!

Remove the speakers in the shelf, but keep the grills. He's sitting in the front, he doesnt need rears.

= Instant ported bass into the cabin :)

We tool the car to an audio place an they had a look and basically they were fannies and you could tell they just wanted money! They told him to buy a new amp as the one he had was crap, buy new speaker wire and new power cables! The new speaker wire i agree with as it was rather thin! he also told us to take out the sponge under the speakers in the shelf!

In the end he got the amp and a new power cable! Took out the speakers which left us with a big cup with the sponge, took that out, replaced the speakers, turned the subs on their back so they are facing god and wired up the new amp....sounding crap! I had run the power cables the right way and the speaker cable black to negative, red to positive! so i jus thot it was a crap amp (alpine class d 700W mono amp) Anyway m8 mate went home and played about and got another mate to help him, they turned the speaker cable around and got it working perfectly, he says its far better, but is going to get his ski hatch cut out of the back seats!

Thanks for all the input!

Daz :alien:

Back