Bad mpg on my k12 Micra, advice needed please?

I’ve recently noticed a drop in fuel economy on my 2008 16v 5 door k12. I drove around 35 miles yesterday and have used just under 1/4 tank from a full tank. Given the tank holds around 40 litres that’s about 8, so seems loads to me.

Given I recently drove 222 miles on 3/4 of a tank (so around 30mpg) this does seem a drop. (Though I was I've read I should be achieving more than I did on that trip)

I’ve hit a couple of nasty potholes recently but can’t see any obvious leaks under the car or smell anything. Could they be a factor? Car due a service in June. I check and fill my tyres once a week and I use super unleaded.

Can anyone advise me on this? Thank you

Last edited:
My micra is diesel, however I also have petrol suzuki's 4x4 and when the fuel was altered to E10 at the pumps, for every gallon of petrol (4.55 litres) you only get 90% petrol with 10% ethanol mixed, this brought my economy down, this problem can be mimimes by either buying the E5 super unleaded which is still only 5% ethanol. I have opted for a additive when filling up instead, this has boosted the MPG to good levels.

read the reviews as it will also clean out the fuel system/injectors as well, I would also jack up each wheel to make sure the brakes are not binding?

Last edited:
Excess fuel consumption is mostly due to either vehicle condition routine maintenance good practices & driving techniques fundamental basics before the distractions of marketing BS overpriced fuel additives.

Ensure that radiator top is too hot to handle & hold after 3 miles & also tyres up to recommended pressures? Jack up each wheel to ensure it’s free to rotate & not binding dragging?

hypermiling techniques at DuckDuckGo

Nb: Disregard the internet search unhelpful BS marketing Ecoplus/Ecochip overpriced gadgets plug ins that are unsubstantiated unproven BS that are a distraction waste of hard earned cash that are entirely not required & add nothing useful!

Enjoy the thirst for knowledge journey as it can save loads of dosh & help make driving a little more pleasant. ;)

Last edited:
35 mpg, which engine, because that's shocking.

Bring your service forward, do as Paul above says for potential drive train issues but don't rule out plugs, oil, etc. Also what's it sit at when doing 70, might be worth checking clutch. I'm no hyper Miler, but for comparison, today's run up the country was 45-48 mpg sat at 69.9mph all the way officer, I get around 43.5 on combined duties.

Sounds like you have something wrong to me.

Back