Any more bulbs?

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Finally got the over-exposure on the digital camera to work and actually take a pic of my red interior.

Hope u all like.

I havent spent more than $10 getting it all to glow red, so i figure if i really want the red to stand out, is to get some neons. But, i dont like neons.

Anyone know of any more bulbs in the car i can convert to red? The instruments are up next, followed by something under the chairs.

CMF_jaxx

» CMF Member
dont change anything, get some led kits installed in your micra. easy enough DIY job. maybe change the cluster bulbs to red?

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
LED kit hey... i was going to rig up my own systems. Its easier to embed that way, IMHO. Is there anyway yo change the bulbs/light coming from the int. fan controls? And yeh, cluster coming soon :)

What type of bulb is in the cluster anyway? i think my fuel bulb is gone. I guess ill take it apart and get a sample then take it to the autoshop.

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Erm, this is kinda silly, but i just putted some red rubber sleeves on my illuminating cluster lights, and also change a globe for the clock light (it now works!! And in red!) but now the engine test light has gone... and my low fuel light. The fuel light works fine on another curcuit so the globe isnt dead and havent tested the engine test globe yet.

Any ideas? the Circuit board looks fine and the contacts are well touching...

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Ooooh baby. First look at it at night time.
Sxc.

So heres a pic. You can also see the pesky bulbs that fail to light up. Any ideas on that? Ill replace the bulbs thursday and see if thats the issue. I fear it may be more deep seeded tho. :(

Attachments

• 12677.jpg
    12677.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 28

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
I did the red condom thing on the globes..

They end up fading and losing their colour and you get stuck with an orange sorta thing.

In the end i just bit the bullet and bought some bright wide angle WHITE LED's that plug straight in.

Looks standard, but a bit brighter..its more of a purpley-white.

I had blue previously and just couldnt read the numbers. Pretty impractical. White's much better. I also tried RED LED"s but they were NO WHERE NEAR bright enough to see ANYTHING.

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Do you remember what MCD rating the LEDS were? you can get really bright ones, but theyre a bit expensive.... Also... colour changing LEDS!!! Now that would be interesting.

Attachments

• 12756.jpg
    12756.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 37

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
For instance,

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/43fc6c5f02a67f50273fc0a87f9c0724/Product/View/Z4072

This LED has a rating of 1000 MCD
While a standard LED

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/43fc6c5f02a67f50273fc0a87f9c0724/Product/View/Z4085

Has only ~4 MCD...
Based on that info, it will be intensly bright... Even bright enough to blind you!!! More info on all this banter can be found here
http://www.superbrightleds.com/led_info.htm

Check the handy in-car wiring tips at the bottom! sweet!

If i do go down the path of the LED instrument cluster, i shall research the optimal brightness + heat emmitance for what LED to use!

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Yeh, i forgot to mention viewing angle.

15o viewing angle like the super bright ones, its pretty shabby when it comes to lighting areas.

Need a high powered diffuse LED, or even somethink like 100MCD over a 70o view angle, i would suspect.

Or... perhaps you could lightly sand the top of the led to help it diffuse a bit better? Basically, diffuse leds has glass in the epoxy to make it diffuse, so perhaps getting a high powered LED, and giving its a good stratch with some 120 grit could make a winning in-dash LED? Ill go buy a couple LED's tomorrow and have a good play.

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
OK, im beginning to fear for my cluster. The fuel and engine check bulbs are fine. The light they should produce, is no-where to be seen. What could be the problem? The circuit is fine... perhaps its the plug connectors?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :/

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Meh, engine check light never existed in the first place... it was Park brake light that was going silly. Fixed that..
Fuel light however is still awol. Bulb = perfect, contact to plug = perfect, so im just going to say, "It doesnt work." probably a down the line problem with the low fuel sensor, if it exists?

Thanks anyway.

Back