Antifreeze help

Nissan micra 1.0 w reg 2000, Got this for my daughter in the summer and I know I should of done this before but nows its getting proper cold I do not know how good or even if their is any antifreeze in it. It looks a rusty colour so am I to take it that it is the red OAT one. I dont fancy draining and re filling as I know that when I start - the hose will split -somthing else will go wrong. So my idea is that I can suck out with a sryinge and pipe 1 ltr from the filler cap end and then replace with neat concentrate for now for some cold weather piece of mind.
But if there is some in there I dont know what it is as I read that the colour is no 100% guide as to what is in it.
So I need a multi type one I belive prestone, and I think bluecol do one.
Any thoughts or help

just pop the hose of the bottom of the radiator, let it drain out, reconnect it and refill :) thats what i done on my Matiz so i assume its the same haha :L

Thats the proper way, Trouble is I just know once I get it off there will be a split--- it will leak and turn in to a nightmare and I dont fancy being out there longer than I need.
Any one know where I can get prestone concentrate (not ready mix ) in leicester.

what will split? the pipe attached to the radiator? i very much doubt it, my matiz sat in a garage for 3 years before i rescued it and the pipes were fine, only thing wrong with the car was the matrix was blocked :L

The rubber pipe on the bottom of the rad, I think (my luck) that once it is disturbed it wont go back right - split or the bottom of the rad or somthing will of rusted and a 10 min job ends up a nightmare in the snow.
At the minit there are no leaks and all is good I just want to get some antifreeze in

Yep I either do properly or need to find prestone antifreeze in Leicester -- any know where I can get it - need it tomorrow so cant do ebay or anything
Thanks for your help McMicra

Thanks both for the help
The adsa prestone one is ready mixed with water, I am after the neat version. As I think there must be somthing in there but I do not know how old or what streangth - so it takes 4 ltr and if I get 1 ltr out of the top and replace with 1ltr neat then at least even if it is just plain water in the system to start with then I am adding 1 ltr of neat to 3 ltrs of water still in there. And just in case it does have some anti freeze in there I need the universal stuff (prestone) but can not find it -google wise in Leicester, I want to get this done tomorrow.

Ok its done.The full and proper way
Got 5 ltr readymix OAT (red) from halfords and a new hose clip, and just as I expected the old clip was rusted solid,as it was a wire one I was able to bend it off.
But first had to remove undertray 1 bolt solid so left it another one ok and 3 plastic clips, past experiance with these is that thy snap so already got some new ones ready.
As 1 bolt was stuck i just bent the tray out the way.
The bottom of the rad was plastic.
I then followed this guide --
  1. -wait for system to cool till luke warm
    -turn heater to hot to open the heater matrix valve
    -remove rad cap
    -remove front undertray below radiator if fitted
    -jacking the front up may help access if suspensions been lowered alot but most cases its not needed
    -place container under radiator
    -loosen and disconnect lower coolant pipe from radiator, drain all coolant into tray. syphon coolant out of the expansion tank if you can be bothered but its not important
    -reconnect lower pipe onto radiator, replace the clamp if too rusty
    -mix 50/50 coolant/water in a bucket or ratioed to the season
    -fill expansion tank to full
    -slowly pour new coolant into the rad till its full then help purge out the bubbles by squeezing away at the top coolant pipe till no more bubbles emerge
    -remove air from the expansion tank u-pipe (squeeze top pipe, cover rad port with palm, release top pipe to suck air/coolant through the pipe, repeat 3x and topup tank if needed)
    -leave rad cap off and heater on hot
    -start engine and either let it idle (takes longer to warm up) or rev to 2k till the fan has turned on & off. this allows the thermostat to open at 82c letting any bubbles out before the fan kicks in
    -while warming up, the coolant level at the rad port will begin to expand too high. simply cover the rad port with palm, squeeze the top pipe to push the excess into the tank, remove palm and release top pipe
    -turn engine off, fit rad cap, turn heater to cold, let engine cool down and check the coolant level

if the coolant was dirty, the remaining coolant in the engine and radiator will need flushing with a garden hose
perfect except did not touch the block, the bit about palm and squeezing the top hose was a very good trick.
I took out 3.5 ltrs and put back 4 as the tank was at the lower mark at the start and it is now at max. So I think that just about all of the old coolant comes out with out draining the block - if you can even do that. I did take out the old coolant from the tank with a sryinge and rinsed with water and also rinsed the rad, just chucked 4 ltrs of water down it.
I was carfull not to over tighten the new jublie clip as I know you can cut into the pipe.
So fingers crossed lets see.

Back