Anti-freeze for K10 -to Trigard or not to Trigard, that is the question

Should you use any special anti-freeze or just standard Ethylene Glycol type ??

I remember seeing the name of the special type originally recommended, maybe in owners handbook.

Checked Haynes they only specify Ethylene Glycol based compatible with Aluminium engine.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
This is where I saw the name of this special Nissan coolant on honestjohn, Trigard.

Not sure if this is correct or now out of date.

Nissan Micra (1983 - 1992)
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=273

Requires coolant replacement with special Nissan coolant (or Trigard) every two years or engine will corrode internally.

When I google it, doesn't find very much on Trigard & Nissan, so probably it's not necessary & out of date.

Ps: another Automerge Doublepost of 2 separate posts

Comma antifreeze would be good enough, it may be cheap but does the job. :)

*off topic*
I totally disagree with the statement by honest John that old people don't service their cars very often. The older generation are a lot more willing when it comes to their cars than people make out.

A large majority of these people are not the ones who got through 35 cars in their lifetime......

Use basic ethy stuff , if your bothered about overheating i think your best option is to fit a directed fan switch.

How ABOUT THAT?

Use basic ethy stuff , if your bothered about overheating i think your best option is to fit a directed fan switch.

How ABOUT THAT?
I just wanted to see if anyone had heard of using this Trigard stuff & whether it mattered or if you could still get it.

I'm not bothered what I use, but if you can get manufacturer spec. make at reasonable price, then might buy it of possible.

Strange it is mentioned on honestjohn but nowhere else.

Googling it, you don't find much.

Ignore it, use whatever. Never heard of any problem with any common off the shelf coolant and lets face it there are a ton of alloy blocks/heads out there these days :)

I found some info :)

To prevent internal engine corrosion creating sludge that blocks water galleries, coolant also contains corrosion inhibitors.

In normal Mono Ethylene Glycol (MEG) coolant, the inhibitors last two to three years before they are too degraded to work and internal engine corrosion begins to set in.

About five years ago, however, a different type of coolant (Mono Propylene Glycol, MPG) became widely available.

The brand name for the additive package is Trigard, and corrosion inhibitors last at least four years. The coolant is best bought pre-mixed with purified water and, because it is environmentally friendly, old coolant can safely be flushed down a drain.

Brand names for pre-mixed MPG Trigard coolants include Comma Coldstream, Esso Ready Mixed, Quantum (VW/Audi) Ready Mixed Coolant, Bluecol Protex Anti Freeze, Unipart Super Plus Anti Freeze, Batoyle Masterfrost and Silkolene Iceguard. Forlife pre-mix from Toyota dealers (£13.61 + VAT for five litres)

So basically it lasts longer and is environmentally friendly when spent :)

Back