alternators! uni course work help!

bombz4

Ex. Club Member
Can anyone give me any information about any of the alterantors used on micras? im doing a mechanical science project on energy transfers (due in tomorow!) ideally outputs and rpm but anything you guys know!:confused: *geek*
its a bit of a long shot but any info most appreciated!

all i know is they hurt when you get your finger caught in the belt whilst the engine is running lol,

have you got a haynes manual? it might say something in there....

lol! im not gunna get very far with this am i! basically i need to know the power used to drive the thing and then im good!

lol! im not gunna get very far with this am i! basically i need to know the power used to drive the thing and then im good!

what do you mean by that? the power of the engine, pully ratios?, kilojules of energy used? eh?

ye basically! i could do with knowing how much energy is taken from the engine in order to run the alternator (sadly lackinging a rolling road and a few spare hours!)

ye basically! i could do with knowing how much energy is taken from the engine in order to run the alternator (sadly lackinging a rolling road and a few spare hours!)

ah. i doubt anyone knows that... i can't think how you'd go about working that out...

nor me thats the problem! think im going to hve to blag that part of the assignment!
"Research you chosen system(alternator), include in your discussion applications where the system is used, include diagrams and applicable values." ehh! O and 2000 word btw! im screwed!

Bombz (you idiot!!) why leave something like this till the last moment!!! If it helps most comments I have seen is that the load places upon the engine by an alternator is generally around 5hp. You could claim that it was too difficult to accurately load an alternator (although wouldn't be accepted at uni, as you should know how to take accurate results :p.) But the loading from the belts alone takes a fair bit of power, then there is the alternator fan, bearings and finally the loading of the energy being produced. You have not particulary made this easy for yourself haha. There should be plenty of examples on the web of alternator vs power output but again, this usually talks about the RPM of the engine not the alternator (from what I have seen) and so without the known gearing ratios i wouldnt know how much faster the alternator is spinning... one could guess but uni isnt about guess work :p

There is this too:

http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/carfaq5.htm

You're at university....you should have learnt by now that you can't leave things until the last moment.

Uni is also totally different, it depends on you studying for your degree (i.e. "reading for your degree")!

If you'd popped into your library for an hour or so, you would have found quite a number of books on the subject, many of them under power/energy along with the automotive section.

Good luck with it, but try not to do it again!!!

Edit: If its a 2000 word essay you'll definitly need to quote sources, probably using Harvard referencing. So get down the library and read some books!

lmao! cheers guys ye believe me i wish id done it sooner but you live and learn! ive just been home and trawled through my old mans catapiller stuff its suprising how much they had on it! its starting to fall into place slowly! i can finish up tomorow night and hand it in on the net. thanks for the help!

Hi Bombz,

Good Luck with this I scraped my through my Mech Eng degree too, graduating 2005.

I've just done a quick google search, and this seems like it may be slightly useful:

http://www.zena.net/htdocs/alternators/AutoSound.shtml

Click on the link to their automated email response, it's not exactly what your after, but gives you an idea of their alternators most efficient operating speed, and what that equates to in engine power.

Hope this helps mate, I know what last minute degree essays are like I spent 4 years doing them!! Lol

All the best,

Chris.

wow thanks did really help had some really good stuff! just finished just needs tidying up! Cheers Guys!!!!!:wasntme:

Back