Advice before buying

I went to look at a 1.3 5dr gx last night and I had a quick blast around the block.
The engine feels lovely compared to my 1.0l, the extra umph I'm after is definitely there!
But when I was braking the pedal was shuddering something rotten, as well as the car.
He claimed it's due it being dirty cos it has been sat for a while.
what do you all think it could be? think it would be expensive to repair?

many thanks, Jonny

Step away from the vehicle ! Walk away while you still can !

...is my advice; another 1.3 which hasn't got such severe problems will be along in no time at all, see gumtree or ebay.

anything loose could do that ,tie rod ends,,worn pads,,,,,knock a 1'er of the price,,and repair yourself
check for smoke(blueish/grey) out the back exhaust!!

That sounds like a 1.3 gx I looked at up in brum... Looked good on paper, got there he opened up the bonnet let me have a look around, I didn't see anything wrong with it after checking all the usual bad spots.
Took it for a test drive all was good except the spongy brakes got back to pay for it when I noticed the front had been pushed in bloody crash damage... the front passenger chassis leg had been pushed something like 4 inches out grr

I went to look at a 1.3 5dr gx last night and I had a quick blast around the block.
The engine feels lovely compared to my 1.0l, the extra umph I'm after is definitely there!
But when I was braking the pedal was shuddering something rotten, as well as the car.
He claimed it's due it being dirty cos it has been sat for a while.
what do you all think it could be? think it would be expensive to repair?

many thanks, Jonny

If he says its because the car has done nothing for a while, its easy to prove. take the car for a slighly longer than a 5 minute drive & brake at every opportunity. if he is correct in what they are saying the shuddering would disappear as the rust would wear off the brakes. I would also check for the cross memeber rust on any micra as they are notorious for that. I wouldnt write off the car unless the juddering is highly pronounced.

Back