88 micra tune up help

M

morgsie

Hi, I'm helping a buddy with his 88 Micra. It recently failed AirCare (emissions test in British Columbia, Canada). I know standard tune up things like changing plugs, wires, distributor, etc, but I know nothing about Nissians FI. The car currently has ~260 000 km on it and I'm wondering what (if anything) should be replaced/checked on the FI system. Is the engine on the 88 TBI or multi-port? I believe the car failed the Carbon Monoxide. Supposidly the EGR vavle was replaced and is now working correctly, if that rules anything out.

Thanks,
morgsie

PS: Sorry if this is the wrong place to be posting this.

could be that the fuel mixture needs tuning

it would be more helpful if you could post up what engine it is either 1.0 or 1.2 as we can help you more

hello fellow BCer,

Your car has a carburator, I am not kidding. Nothing is really adjustable cept the idle speed and to adjust the mixture you got to drill through a cap to get to a screw. Your problem probably lies with the oxygen or temperature sensors maybe a vacuum leak or sumpthin.

Good luck man, if you need more help email me your number.

Anything that will help you get GOOD-COMPLETE combustion will help your emissions..this means good HT components (points, coil, leads, distributor & plugs) as well as good fuel and air stuff. also the ignition timing has an influence too.

Maybee try replacing the Posative Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) filter inside of the air filter housing....it will probably be clogged with black ming. Do this with an oil and filter change aswell.

A new PCV filter will cost a about a dollar or two at most
May be you can use solvent, to clean the old one out???

Oh I would leave the mixture screw till last if you can...an other thing to check/set before the mixture is your valve tappet clearances under the rocker cover.....check the manual...i think these may have to be HOT to check /adjust??

You can get a notched tool to adjust the mixture screw if you prefer not to get the drill out!!

Back