2 or 4 speakers?

Hope someone can help. I have a 57 reg K12 1.2 Initia 3dr and I'm a bit confused about the stereo.

The front speakers work perfectly however nothing comes out of the back. Problem is I don't know if it's a 2 or 4 speaker model so don't know if the back speakers are just the speaker covers with nothing underneath or if they aren't working. I'm the second owner and didn't even think about this until yesterday when I decided I might change the stereo.

I have checked the balance and fader settings and it makes no difference.

Any help in identifying if I have 2 or 4 (duff) speakers greatly appreciated.

I thought it was 4 or 6 speakers option?... :oops:

I have a 2005 sport+ 3door (2 speakers front doors, 2 speakers rear trim, 2 in the a-pillar....they appear to be tweeters? :p)
I could be wrong though...happens LOL

the only way to check if there are any speakers back ther is to get that bit of trim off
...which involves taking out the rear seat (at least the cushion) and pulling loose the weather strip around the door... great fun I'm sure
the only thing I'd wish I had a 5 door for, as door card removal is a bit easier than rempving a whole bloomin' panel :rolleyes:

I'll have a look at my Haynes manual and my owners handbook...see if that can shed a little more light on the speaker situation for ya ;)

I'll be back in a jiffy

ETA: okay...owners manual under Fader: alters balance between front and rear (Where fitted) speakers

So looks like you're right, you may not even have speakers there :(

...although Nissan does have a habit of wiring up the cars the same...so even if you don't have the speakers you may still have the wires to hook some up :D

ETA 2: the only way I can see to know for sure if you have rear speakers is to take off that panel and have a look...
...there is also a chance, if it turns out you do have speakers there, they may have simply a loosened connection?

Thanks for the reply - but what a pain in the arse! I was hoping to not have to take bits apart, although I know I'll need to take some of the front apart to replace the stereo. Balls.

Yep....you're welcome....and sorry LOL

If/When you get the panel off...pull carefully...although the pop in things are cheap to replace, that'll be another pain in your arse :p

I took off and swapped around my rear quarter trim (the bit for the back pillar with the parcel shelf stay) from a 5 door as the part is identicle
....my dad "helped" me by bashing it into place, but now it keeps popping back out because the top plastic slot thing has got bent <_<

Awww...if you have the time/patience you could get some out of a scrappers cheap?...
...treat yourself, seems like you'll be alot happier with speakers back there ;)

I think you could make a day of it ^_^

...take out the back seat (which is not all that hard) have lunch and a cuppa
...get both panels off and hook up a pair of speakers
...replace panels...
...have another cuppa...
....give it a good old hoover out
....get the seats back in....

have a celabratory cuppa :p

I look after a toddler full time - I haven't "made a day of it" in about 2 years!! ;)

My concern is that once I remove something I won't get it back in and I'll bugger it up

I had that same concern...seem to have done alright until I let my dad touch it LOL
...Have faith, take your time, when you get any ;)

Right, I've decided to go for it. However it would be good to know how to deal with the issue of there possibly being no cable in the back. If there isn't, where should I run it from and to, using what route and what type of cable/connectors?

Or if I'm asking those sorts of questions should I be getting a pro to do this?

I can pull the those trims out without removing seats on a 3dr. Remove weather seal, and pull panel out.
Yes real easy to run new speaker wire, and splice connections onto speakers whichever way you like. I take it you are familiar with removing the dash top etc.. To access the stereo? If so then routing cables down either side is real easy.

I can pull the those trims out without removing seats on a 3dr. Remove weather seal, and pull panel out.
Yes real easy to run new speaker wire, and splice connections onto speakers whichever way you like. I take it you are familiar with removing the dash top etc.. To access the stereo? If so then routing cables down either side is real easy.

Oh right - I will need to take a closer look. Thanks

Quick update - took the plunge and replaced the stereo today when I got some time (amazing). Piece of piss minus not having a radio adapter.

Morcs - I have no idea how to splice cables etc. does the rear speaker cable not need to be connected directly to the stereo so that it knows that those speakers are rear ones, so the fader will work (important for me)?

If there are no existing cables for the rear speakers then yes you will have to buy some speaker wire and run new ones.
The wiring harness on your stereo should have 4 lots of two wires in pairs - usually a pair of purple, green, grey and white (i think) - two lots are for front speakers, and two for the rear. You will need to connect speaker cable to whichever you identify as being the rears (left and right too).
You can test all this by leaving all the dash off and using the balance and fader to determine what wires power what speakers and correct according - mean stereo in and out a few times but no biggy, then finish all your connections once you are sure.
As for splicing - i mean connecting wires. You can solder wires together, put connections on either end so they connect together, or my old favourite - strip ends, twist together and wrap with some insulation tape!

Thank you - awesome reply. However I have just one question left: were so I run the wires from the stereo to the back? Is there a dedicated route, ie under the floor, or the ceiling etc?

Thanks again.

Yeah with the dash top off, and weather seal off each door, and the rear speaker trim panels removed - run cabling across the dash and feed down and though so it comes down near the floor and just run it under the carpet and into the back, make sure theres enough slack in wire, the fit all the panels and weather seal back so it hides it all. Youll need to go down each side of course.
Hope this helps

Back