1995 Micra L Auto - General Tweak Tips?

G

gfunk

Hey folks,

just got the above car. I like the fact it's quite basic, however 0-60 in 15.7 seconds is a bit dodgy.

Is there any general tips or things I can fiddle about with under the bonnet (without spending lots of cash on mods, etc!) to improve performance?

I had a search of the forum, but couldn't find anything that didn't involve induction kits :wasntme:

peace!

engine swap for a 1.3. can be done cheaper than a performance exhaust system. with better results also.

Cool... would it be a straight swap? Or are we talking lots of grinding and welding to get the thing to fit?

Read a lot of reviews online saying there's not much in it between the 1.0 and the 1.3 - which i thought was weird!

yeah its a straight swap, but i think if you change your gearbox aswell you need to change one of the gearbox mounts.

im actually selling a 1.3 engine at the minute if your intrested, doesnt come with a gearbox tho

he has an auto so wouldnt be changing gear box. where about are you?
i as said above a striaght swap you wouldnt need to change anything. apart from the throttle cable bracket, swap that over to your 1.3 engine.
there is a good difference between 1.0 and 1.3.

Cool cool...

I've done a bit of work on the car myself, but I'm not hugely experienced - would it be possible for me to swap the engines myself do you thinky?

How come you need an auto gearbox anyhoo? I have one thankfully...in such a small engine there's not much between the auto and the manual if you put your foot down!

How much are we lookin at for a 1.3 engine? None on ebay at the mo, might have to go to a scrappies and get conned, woopey!

Just phoned a few insurers; seems it's not worth the extra 800 on insurance. Oh well

just do the conversion. register it with dvla. then insure it as a 1.3 micra. extra premium is maybe £20 or so over a 1.0 micra.

This is the problem with listening to people on forums who are perhaps under the age of 20...

If you're stupid enough to do a 1.3 conversion you would be as well selling your car and actually buying a 1.3 instead.

I find it amusing on ebay when you see folk selling a pretty old rubbish heap of junk that's had the engine upgraded, and they think because they've added a grand worth of mods it's therefore worth a grand more than the normal price!

I've decided I'm gonna get a mazda mx5 instead, cracking little cars, and can be had for the price of a modded micra, including insurance :glance: :blush:

The problem is that you've got a 1.0 litre car, which on its own is no formula 1 car, but then its hooked to an auto box, these do sap power especially low down, what it appears you want is high performance from this car without doing much modification or spending much money, it's not going to happen, performance costs. Yes the MX5 is a cracking car, but everyone and his dog has got one, just like the micra which is why members here mod them, each to their own, good luck with the MX5, but it wouldn't stand a chance against a 1.6 or 2.0 litre micra (not that I condone street racing in any form) and wouldn't draw as much interest, and I'm over 20 :p

Hey dude...

The micra was a daughter's friend's, and she got given it. I thought it'd be funny to rip the preverbial p*** out of it, but it's not really all that do-able afterall.

Due to the number of corsas and what-not out there, and their youngster reputation, there's a lot more effective cheaper modifications available.

I live and volunteer at a local racing track....yet to see 1.8i or even a 1.6 mx5 get beaten by a micra, but last time the 2.0 micra blew up, literally. Ah well, amused me at least.

G'luck

Back