17's

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ricardo_swarez

im thinking of fitting 17's to my soon to be micra, i already no they fit, i want to no how much acceleration i would loose? a sizeable amount or nothin worth sitting in the corner of a dark room weeping like a malnourished child...ha

yes, a sizeable amount + handling will be crap and you will feel every bump in the road + u will need it lowered and uprated shocks too

its already lowered 35mm, but what difference will lowering the car have on speed? i no lowering will lower the centre of gravity so reduce role, an so have a positive effect on handling but i dont see how it will affect acceleration, why would having bigger wheels make me feel every bump to? not being funny just want to no the logic behind ur reply
there on 205/40/17 tyres so they fit just fine, i've had them on a micra thats lowered 60mm an they fit fine, so on one lowered 35mm they should be ok for driving with bumps an all

ricardo_swarez said:
my mate has a 60mm dropped micra, the wheels went on fine an he's drove with them on, i didnt ask will they go on, i've had them on an drove with them, i asked would it decrease speed, if ur gona post about how they dont fit, then if they dont reduce speed to much, i'll fit them an come to a micra meet an show u how they do fit an how ur pesimistic views did nothin but make urself look dum, answer what i asked or start your own thread sayin 17's dont fit

I have sent you a PM please read it.

ricardo_swarez - no one in this thread has said that they will not fit. It is commmon knowledge amongst the people that have posted in this thread that 17" fit with few problems. You will find under load they rub agaist the front of the rear wheel arches and possibly the fuel pipe.

It is also common knowledge (again amongst the people that have posted in this thread) that the fitment of 17" alloys does ruin the ride and the handling charateristics of a K11. The add a lot of weight to the unsprund weight of a car and will slow the car down by quite a noticable amount. To put the unsprung weight bit into perspective, Moto GP racers use say that every 1kg of unsprung weight is the equivalent of 4kg added to your sprung weight.

Say a 17" alloys with tyres weighs 30kg, that is around 16kg heavier than standard. So 16 x 4 x 4 = 256kg is added to sprung weight which is around 32 stone or the same as carrying 2-3 passengers all the time.

If you search on google for a gearing guide it will show you how much your gearing is knocked out and what speed you will actually be doing when you clock registers 30/40/50/60/70 etc.

yus, look mate, i have no doubt 17"s will go on with -35 but i got 16's on at -35 n i sometimes get scrubbing so to see 17's down -60 i doubt it and it is common logic that it will reduce the speed and acceleration, like mike said, more weight + more energy needed to make one full turn!

And you WILL feel every bump because to make 17"s fit you have to get low profile tyres which means less cushioning between rim and road and so less space to dampen the effect of the bump in the road, trust me im on 195/40/16 n i feel it so i would hate to feel it on 17"s

You will also find that you will have more steering lock in one direction than the other, i think its when you turn left you suffer from less lock.

Thread is now locked as the question has now been answered. People please remember to give a well thought out responce, as rubbish will be deleted.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back