1.3GX 1998 R (3-Door)

S

scorp10

Dear All,

Recently added some Pioneer TSA6900s 6x9's on the back shelf. The car is already fitted with factory tweeters in the front window side frames and door speakers. I guess their Blaupunkt. I want to add an amp to the set up already and from the forum i've read advice about changing the door speakers so that they can be amped. I wud like to know whether this is really necessary as im guessing the door speaker cud easily handle upto 100W input although i shud check it first.

Also I wud be grateful to know what sort of amp i shud go for. The Pioneer 6x9s can handle 250W. I'm dazed and confused by all the terminologies about 2CH/3CH/4CH. i'm guessing i shud opt for a 4CH / Multichannel amp.

If any of kind folks here at MSC can impart some of their audio wisdom on me re: the above wud me most grateful.

Thanks in advance!

You haven't said what headunit you have, but i'll assume for this explanation that it is a aftermarket one as the standard one will not support rca cable's. You will need a head unit with 2 rca connectors, one for the front and one for the rear. If your head unit is a newish model this should be fine, if not i'll explain how to get round it later.

You would need a 4 channel amp, although you dont mention budget i would recommend a mac audio, alpine, pioneer and genesis. These range for £70 to £260. If your unsure how to do it, then pay for someone to do it for you as wiring a amp to the front speakers is troublesome enough without having to do it without knowing.

If you are still running a standard head unit then i would say just replace the front head unit with a aftermarket one and the front speakers with infinity components.

Mike

Hi Mike,

The HU is a Tevion picked up from my local Aldi Supermarket for £49.99 cos it cud play MP3 files. It says 40Wx4 but I guess most HU's always say that and never actually do. At the time of fitting I noticed it only had 1 set of RCA's. So I could do with your advice on getting around that one.

As its an after factory HU would I still need to change the doorspeakers to Infinity components?

Also the budget on my amp is a rather shameful b/w £25-£50. I've been trawling eBay and have seen some 4CH amps from Austria called First going for prices in that range but the powerout is in the 1000W - 1800W range - Probably a bit too much for my current set up!

I've checked out some US audio websites as well thinking with the strong pound there might be some bargains to be had - but considering Shipping and taxes i'm prob better off buying from the UK or eBay.

Also would you know whether its better to go for a MOSFET amp or not? And i read the D class amps are more power friendly than the current AB amps, would you advice going for a D class?

Hope some of this info is helpful if not I'll elaborate of there are any gaps.

Many thanks in advance!

Dont be fooled into believing the over exagerated power claims of unbranded amp's. These amps are more likely to be 40w or 50w.

I would recommend either saving more money and buying a bottom spec new amp from a reputable dealer (£80) or going second hand but sticking to a name make such as

Kenwood
Alpine
Pioneer
Mac Audio

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Red-ATTACK-4800-Mac-Audio-Competition-Amplifier_W0QQitemZ5797685362QQcategoryZ4950QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

As for the amp, dont get a class D as they are designed for Sub's in mind and would be useless for running components. For your budget i would stick to Class AB as Class T amps are well out of your budget (and mine).

You will need a RCA spiltter to get a RCA to front and back. Although not ideal it is the only solution.

Mike

Back