1.3 power lose

B

buddyspudface

hi everybody, just been on a 400 mile round trip to pick up my new scooter and had the worst drive of my life. in 5th gear doing 70mph every time we saw a hill even a very slight hill like 1-20 sort of thing it started to die and when the hills were a little steeper we even had to drop it into 4th and still struggled to hold revs at one point we went as low as 3rd to hold what was now 40mph on a bloody motorway even lorrys were doing better than us at this point. any advice would be very hands people.
facts about car
1.3 1999
work done so far in order of installation
1 k&n air filter
2 3inch sportech exhaust
3 uridium spark plugs
4 after market (sorry forgot name of product) fuel regulator with pressure gauge.
the car has always seemed underpowerd compard to out 1.3 super s we had before this one, so we put the first 2 mods on from the super s to pep it up but with no joy. so decent plugs installed no joy,thought lack of fuel maybe so installed a regulator that you can adjust pressure and still no joy.
the car is great around town in the 30-50 mph range and never goes any higher than this normaly, but on motorways when grunt is needed its crap. on flat roads its also ok. iv just checked the resistance on the ht leads and it comes up 7 on small and upto 10 on the largest and went down halfords and did a check on thier leads and came up with 6 and 9 so not much difference so did not get new leads..... PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN

Interesting. Mine is a bit like that too. Driving for about an hour at around 70mph my 1.3 becomes a bit sluggish when I pull off the highway and bum around the streets at low speed again. I usually have to turn it off and let the car cool down before it gets its "zip" back. I've had a Nissan consult computer and logged the data over a 3 hour period and there was nothing abormal at all. Not that annoying as I don't do much highway driving anymore.

funny, my 1.0 seems opposite, feels well quick after a trip on the motorway lol

id check ur sensors and ignition coil/coilpacks

i think that the solution to every micra problem is the TB :p

it sounds like the ECU insn't calculating the data from the sensors properly, its as if the throttle pot is not being read so the ECU doesn't know when your flooring it. i would go for a GA16de TB upgrade and see what difference that makes.

I wouldnt upgrade to a 1.6 tb, its a bodge that seems to work sometimes.

You need to check the stock TB, and check the colour of the sparkplugs after this happens - you may find your running way lean. (they will look very white)

indeed ed, i found the 1.6 TB to be a terrible mod, i don't understand why people swear by it so? 1.6 MAF sensor with a fuel/timing ignition for the 1600 engine, makes sense to me as why it didnt work well.

You need to check the stock TB, and check the colour of the sparkplugs after this happens - you may find your running way lean. (they will look very white)[/QUOTE]

ok fella's thank you all for your very quick responses. iv been out this morning tinkering around like you do on sundays, regaped the plugs only slightly closed so opened to 1.1 as the haynes book tells you. also checked the fuel regulator pressure it was running at 1.6 bar but after checking the bibble again im told as standerd it should be 2.5 bar so up i turned that, strange that one though as when i got the new regulator it told me the standerd bar was 1.1 and i should tweek as i see fit.also checked timming which is spot on. but what i will say is the gentleman who said it may be running weak was correct as the plugs were mainly white in colour with very little colour to them at all. so of i plodded to the local drag strip sorry A2, took it upto 70mph no problem tried to go faster and bless its little engine it did try this time, no rocket ship more like a milk float but at least it made the effort. anyway on the way back its slightly up hill so it was more of a challange for the engine but again up it went to 70mph on a 1-20ish hill so i must say at least its got some pep in it again, all i will do is let the wife do the normal running around in it for a couple of weeks and then ill take out the plugs to see if they are still running lean and if so maybe try one of them tb of ebay for around £100. but again id like to thank you all very much for your imput and time on this matter. well done to you all:girly:

Ed said:
I wouldnt upgrade to a 1.6 tb, its a bodge that seems to work sometimes.

You need to check the stock TB, and check the colour of the sparkplugs after this happens - you may find your running way lean. (they will look very white)

is the 1.6 TB a bodge because you have to ditch the idle control? if you grafted the 1.6 loom on to it then it should be a good upgrade.

well done mate for getting it all sorted and well done Ed ;)

i thought is sounded like it was running lean but i don't know a test for it, but now i do :)

Back