Exhaust rattle underneath!

Bore da pawb!
(that's good morning all to those who, amazingly, haven't learned a smattering of Welsh)

My 2001 1.0S has recently started rattling underneath when under load (esp. doing 0.1 mph, coming slowly out of corners or struggling up steep hills on windy Pembrokeshire lanes).
It's definitely the exhaust right underneath the car, where there's a kind of bulging cover - is this where the cat is? Am I being over-optimistic in thinking it probably just needs something tightening?
My socket set is poised!!

it's most likely to be the heat shield on the cat rattling, rip it off and throw it away.

I know sonic you are a knowledgeable member on these forums, but surely that advise isn't very good!?

Heat sheilds are there for a reason, especially around CAT's which get super hot! My manual on my car (not a micra though), states I should't park on long dry grass for fear of setting it alright with the cat! Not trying to spark (hee did you see what I did there!?) a debate, but just my two pence worth!:grinning:

Maybe getting someone to rev the engine whilst you carefully get under the car and monitor how the exhaust reacts to see if you can see where it is rattleing and then fix would be a better option.

I know many professional mechanics that chuck them away and all the cars I've done it to weren't affected........ although those strange unexplainable fires happened a lot.......

haha :p yeah it'll be heat shield it's probably rusted through and split, if you wanna keep it on you could just get a couple of exhaust clips or clamps to hold it on, that should do the trick if its the heat shield on manifold section :p probably not if its the heat shield on the cat!! :p

i just ripped mine off and replaced it with a bit of ally sheet from maplins at a grand total of £4....lol

just move the centre section with your hand, could be the heat shield, gussing its the one near the centre section, i took bent it with a screw driver....doesnt rattle anymore ;)

Alternatively, spend a lil more money.. Get a cat back system & a through pipe :)

Problem solved & you earned a few more HPs :)

Chris

Alternatively, spend a lil more money.. Get a cat back system & a through pipe :)

Problem solved & you earned a few more HPs :)

Chris

Cheers Chrisxn - don't know exactly what you're talking about but it sounds intriguing, especially if I decide to keep the car and tweak it a bit. Still under consideration ....

same thing happened on my k12 turned out to be the heat shield i just bent it here and there and now its fine no rattle lol :k12cop: fwn

Nice one k12 - will give it a shot (but not with the 12 bore!) and let you know if I have same result. If so, will also do it to mother in law's P reg 1.0 auto, which has same rattle ;-)

Back