Wouldn't start!!!! :-(

CMF_Wilzy

» CMF Member
hi guys.
my micra wouldnt start today for some reason.
umm.. the starter motor was turning and there was enough power from the batt cause the radio was working.
but..... it just wouldnt start.
it was out in the cold and wet for a bit yesterday but i then put it in the garage.
does anyone know what is wrong?? could the spark plugs be damp or something.
any tips on how to immediatly fix it if it happens again?/
cheers

CMF_Micra_King

» CMF Member
The micra is one of only a few EFI cars that can suffer from flooding and only happens after short running the engine eg starting it up when cold and moving it a few meters and turning it off again. Kepping the accelerator pedal fully depressed while turing the motor over untill it starts to fire up will get it started just like the good old days with carby engines.

CMF_DeepFraught

» CMF Member
Try Nulon "Start Ya Bastard".
Disconnect the airbox lid, remove the filter, and spray some towards the intake while cranking the engine in neutral with handbrake on.
You can do this with the window down, turning key with left hand, while spraying towards intake with your right.
After you've given it a spray you can put the can down with your right hand, and increase the throttle by manually twisting the throttle pulley.
edit: or get someone to help you ;)

CMF_DeepFraught

» CMF Member
Cans of it

Attachments

• 40294.jpg
    40294.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 26

CMF_asdame

» CMF Member
Incase the engine is flooded, remove the fuel pump fuse to disable the the fuel supply, crank the engine no more than 30secs at a time to pump out the excess fuel from the chamber, turn off ignition, refit the fuel fuse, turn on ignition and don't start till the fuel pump has stopped after few secs(fully primed), then start with full throttle. When it starts, release the accelerator.

CMF_Micra_King

» CMF Member
asdame WROTE:

"Incase the engine is flooded, remove the fuel pump fuse to disable the the fuel supply, crank the engine no more than 30secs at a time to pump out the excess fuel from the chamber, turn off ignition, refit the fuel fuse, turn on ignition and don't start till the fuel pump has stopped after few secs(fully primed), then start with full throttle. When it starts, release the accelerator.

Or just do it the way I said :)

CMF_Wilzy

» CMF Member
yeh i think i will try what you said micra king. but if that doesnt work ive got some serious problems.
would bump starting do anything???
asdame what you said kinda confused me. like i have no idea where any of that stuff you said is!?

CMF_asdame

» CMF Member
the fuse box is located at the lower half of the dash nearest the driver door (beside ur right knee if right hand drive). pull off the fusebox cover to reveal a panel full of fuses. the cover you just pulled off has a diagram of what each fuse is. find the fuel pump fuse and proceed with what i described above.

...or just follow micra kings post if its too difficult.

Back