Will 1.3 Cams make any difference with low octane fuel?

Hi,
I'm doing the Mongol rally in a K11 and Bridges Breakers (near the M23) have kindley given us some 1.3 cams and some spare wheels.

Before fitting them I just wondered if this is going to affect our ability to run on the low octane fuel we are likely to encounter, I can't think why it would but was just a thought.
Also how much mpg loss can we expect?

Thanks, Andrew

here is our website: http://www.londontomongolia2007.co.uk

it's a 1.0litre engine, there'll be no difference between 95ron and 97ron, You only get benefits when the car is well tuned, and mapped to take advantage of the higher octane.

Sorry, what I mean is when I'm in Kasakhstan and the fuel has very low octane will the car be more likely to stop running if I have the 1.3L cams in?

Will do. I suppose that answers the question really! How about the mpg, what sort of losses can we expect with these cams?

Is it just a straight swop, we made sure they were both dizzy models.

i have just done that and yer its a straight swop. but im having probs.

puting them cams in means you wont have good low revs but good high revs.

The original idea was to get a bit more power
With a heavly loaded car we'll be wanting to get good power lower down, not just at high revs, maybe this isn't the best idea???

We may retard the ignition a bit if we hit bad fuel along the way.

Personally id leave the internals standard if you can..

Concidering breaking down is the worst thing that could possibly happen for you.

The CG engines are actually quite a torqey engine so i think you would be ok as is...

Obviously a 1.3 block would be best.

Ah good, any change in fuel economy (important for us)? I think we've decided against it, just so nothing can go wrong. Thanks for everyones help though.

Octane booster is a waste of money on such a journey. Keep it stock and prepare for bad fuel, as I think you have now done so. Thats a much better idea imo!

Back