Voting, or not as the case may be...

H

Herr_spl1ff

Stumbled across this, make of it what you will :upside:

Slightly undecided on it but have made my entry. Personally I think spoiling the ballot paper is a more effective protest as it is officially counted and recognised that you turned out and voiced your opinion, ie none of the parties.

Would be interested to hear people's thoughts... :)

Not apathetic

:unclesam:

you must have been bored at 4am to go looking for that!
its my first year of being able to vote, so yeah, i will be voting.
Lib Dem all the way

http://www.omrlp.com/

woo could vote for them if ya desperate to waste your vote

Conservative, Labour or Liberal Democrats, it makes no difference really in day to day life across the nation. Election campaigning is always just one party saying they will otherwise do the opposite, or do the same thing better, than the other parties. Look at history - it's extremely rare that election promises are delivered.

Your local MP though can make a world of difference though. They try doing things that are feasible and will make noticeable changes rather than meaningless legislation. It's pretty important getting a good MP, which I reckon is a good enough reason to vote.

I saw something quite amusing the other day - a massive billboard that looked like a tiled wall with "How hard is it to keep a hospital clean?" written in graffiti style on it. I couldn't work out what it was for, until I saw another one with the Conservative logo and slogan on the lower right. They'd put the advert on a billboard too small to take the whole thing. I thought "How hard is it to make you advert the right size? Probably a fair bit easier than keeping a hospital clean".

the way i see it is labour suck, they've done nothing for us whatsoever. conservatives cant even keep their own party in order, never mind our country. and lib dem want to get rid of top up fees which will make me 10 grand better off at the end of the day (not this day... but you know what i mean).
my local MP is also the minister for education or some such crap... david millipede... broadband...MILIBAND thats the bloke. hes as much use as an mp as i am. probably less so. it was reported in the paper that he is the only mp for shields for the last god knows how long to actually have a house in shields. what it doesnt mention is that yes he has a house here, but he lives in london. what a berk.
anyway, politics sucks, and this thread is either gonna get locked or shifted.

Layla said:
and lib dem want to get rid of top up fees which will make me 10 grand better off at the end of the day

but aren't top up fees coming in in september 2006? meaning if you are due to start uni this september (and judging by your date of birth you are), then top up fees won't affect you anyway.

Layla said:
it was reported in the paper that he is the only mp for shields for the last god knows how long to actually have a house in shields. what it doesnt mention is that yes he has a house here, but he lives in london. what a berk.

That's one advantage of living in London - normally your MP lives in the same area at least. Doesn't stop them from being an idiot though.

this year if and when i pass my alevels. had moment of panic when posted due to appalingness of coursework, but it turned out it wasnt as bad as first though.
still... lib dem (Y)

Wasn't bored, couldn't sleep and found it through another forum! I'm with you on the local MP thing Andrew, I still think it'd be nice to have someone in power who wasn't an arse!

I'm less interested in wasting my vote than spoiling the ballot paper, that way it's counted as a null vote not a vote for someone else. I'm with the increasingly popular line of 'I'm not a minority group so the government isn't interested in me'

That and the MRLP haven't been the same since the death of Screaming Lord Such a few years back, when I stopped voting for them ;)

in regard to top up fees, james is correct but if you aplpy this year and defer your entry till 2006 then you still dont have to pay the top up fees

No no no no no to labour, i bloody hate labour, i had a sponsorship to a top private school, passed all exams and everythign and they took it away from me, but conservatives gave it to me before labour took it away...

I prefer green party or Lib Dems...

Craig said:
Where are the Houses of Parliament?

??

she's on about local MP's - so it's always useful is your local MP actually lives in your area, rather than London.

There should be an option to chose...

candidate A []
candidate B []
candidate C []

NO CANDIDATE []

I would get off my arse to vote...

..then when the polls come in and 40% of voters are willing to vote.. BUT.. dont want to choose anyone on offer.. It will show up how much we DO care about politics.. But we want DECENT politics..

spoiling ballot paper can always be blamed on somthing else

-kristian-

Jim said:
Craig said:

??

she's on about local MP's - so it's always useful is your local MP actually lives in your area, rather than London.

Local MP, who also has a job at whitehall? How do bills get passed, by MP's voting on them?

Jim said:
Craig said:

??

lol i misread that as "its always useful if your local MP actually lives in your ar*e"

rofl

Craig said:
Local MP, who also has a job at whitehall? How do bills get passed, by MP's voting on them?

That's the reason why they are allowed to claim expenses on owning a second residence in London, and the fact it isn't compulsory to sit in on debates in the House of Commons... IIRC there are only 450 odd physical seats in there and about 600 MPs.

they claim more expenses than they get paid :mad: they get like thousands a month.
my expenses at work are... oo.. 30p a mile. wow. for travel to another store that ive only done once in the last year

That is true andrew, there is no requirement for MPs to sit in the House of Commons, but when voting on bills the system means that they have I think 15 minutes to get from their office to the House to actually vote so proximity is required

Back