Steering Wheel Help!

T

TAYLOR

Can some one please tell me if you can change the steering wheel on a k11 L reg, if so what information do I need to know or any kits to make them fit?
Cheers

should be able to, will prob need a boss.

does it have an airbag? if so you'll need to remove it or spend a fortune for an aftermarket steering wheel with one in.

:)

Do you currently have an airbag? Does you new wheel have one?
If your new wheel has one, take it to a pro to get it done, if not read on!

Right, if you have an airbag on your standard wheel, first disconnect the battery. (Incase of any accidents!) Just take the negitive lead off of the battery.
Then make sure that the wheel is centered. Once your happy that its centered, look at the side or the steering wheel, and there should be small black covers on both sides of it. Pop both of these off with a screw driver (carefully), and then behind that there is two bolts. Undo these, and the airbag unit should become lose.
Then jimmy it out of the wheel, and pull both of the plugs out.
Put it well outta the way, as they can be dangerous if they go off, put it in a cupboard where it wont get heat or sparks near it.
Anyway, looking at the wheel now, you'll see a small black spinner, which is held on with 4 screws. Again, un-do these carefully and remove.
Now, the fun bit! There is a Nut holding the wheel on, un do this, and then pull the wheel off. (It's a bitch to do, but if you wiggle it slightly, then it comes off).
Right, thats it striped, so now fit your new boss kit, and cover it with the rubber supplied.
Then fit your new wheel, be reversing the sequence!
The black spinner will NOT go back on, so don't try to get it on.
If you go to Halfrauds, you'll get a boss kit there, just ask for a Nissan one.

If that dosen't make sense, then just say and i'll try to get pics for you mate. (I'm very sleepy!)
Hope that helps.
Titch :kungfu:

also if u do have an airbag when u disconnect the negative lead, leave it for about 10-15mins before u remove the unit, thats what ive been told when working on rovers,hondas,vauxhalls and some others, not heard about nissans but best to be on the safe side!

Thanks for help! My micra doesnt have an airbag so that must make it easier! Would I still need a boss kit for it or would it be a straight swap?

Steering Wheel Help!

Was looking at this 1 on ebay better than the grey 1! How much are boss kits?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4536970676&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

So I shouldn't have a problem fitting the steering wheel then if I get a boss kit?

No you shouldnt have a problem at all, but be careful darling, because you dont want to be playing around with areas your not sure about, just be safe and dont knock the steering column about to much when you are fidling...

have fun at that ebay one looks cool...

take care, be safe and hope you get your new wheel on safe.

Yea, the boss kit is really just so that it adapts to the car. Any NISSAN Kit will do it, doesn't have to be a Micra one.

mgiht go for this myself....Titch, what did u do with the airbag light? also, wouly my motor fail the MOt if i swapped em over since i have an airbag?

Well if the airbag light is one when its getting it's MOT, then yes it will fail. How i did it was carefully peeled back the dash and then stuffed blutac down the hole where the light shining through. There is NOT a twist lock bulb behind the dash, so don't look for it! (On the facelift Micras anyway)
Titch

Back