Steering Rack

My K10 just failed its MoT. The guy was really severe.. I mean for £35 I expect them to top up the wash bottle for a loyal customer. Anyhoo... one failure item was "insecure steering rack" !!! He reckons I should undo the support mounts and put electricians tape around the rack to make the bushes tight again!! It doesn't look terribly easy to access. Would it be easier to get new bushes from the dealership? And how much would it be?
He also failed it on "not getting image from nearside headlight". I really think this was crap as it is as good as the other one.. just has a little condensation in the housing. Can it be split and dried out? Ta

It doesn't look terribly easy to access. Would it be easier to get new bushes from the dealership? And how much would it be?
He also failed it on "not getting image from nearside headlight". I really think this was crap as it is as good as the other one.. just has a little condensation in the housing. Can it be split and dried out? Ta

Have to remember a failures a failure.........Hes trying to save you cash by saying you can just wrap some tape around the bushes although Buying new bushes would be easier and better option.
Lack of image on the head light can either be a dodgy bulb or as you say condensation, to remove the condensation remove the buld and get the garage to blow air straight into it using there air blower.Normally does the trick.

Yes he had plenty of suggestions afterwards. With regard to the steering rack... some play must be inevitable if for example the wheels are on the ground and you are trying to turn the wheel. The theoretical maximum grip the rubber bushes can have is "zero slip" ... under these conditions the play will then be the flexibility of the bushes themselves. I did what he said which was to wrap fabric tape around the rack and then clamp the bushes back to it. The wife waggled the steering and there was still a little play as the rack was acting against the static friction of the wheel on the ground. I just can't see how this can be completely eliminated without a non-flexible metal bush.
Even the layers of tape also provide additional flexibility.
In the end I took the logical step and decided to limit the movement to JUST the give of the bush itself. How? Simple... I cleaned up and then epoxied the steering rack to the bush!!! Now.. the rack does not slide in the bush but does move a little as it drags the bush material with it. I cannot believe that any less play can be achieved. Unless - to quote Esther Rantzen - you know better. If the MoT is carried out with the wheels on a sliding support then I don't think there will be any significant play.
As for the MoT tester - he was not being objective and has expressed his resistance to passing "old" cars before. The output of my headlamps was fine. He also failed it on the brake pedal non-slip pad - though this is in good condition with perhaps a 4mm square smooth patch on one edge. It was probably the most pedantic list of faults I have even seen and its time to change garages.

Some MOT places really go to town on cars......probably trying to make you get rid of it fwn

If you do Buy some new Bushes can you put the part number up for future reference please? cheers :)

The Final Curtain.
Well... serves me right I guess. But... my friendly oxyacetylene welder guy (does sills very cheaply) told me he had an "arrangement" with the tester next door and sends his cars to him. This sounded reasonable and I wasn't sure I could survive the first guy after his rather exhaustive list of dubious faults. I put it in and came back whistling later to pick it up. He had failed it!! haha this was getting a bit much. He offered to show me the defects but I declined... saying that as his list was completely different from the first guy I had merely confirmed my belief that the faults are almost entirely subjective and a matter of opinion. The next day I returned to the first garage and had the partial re-test. The car was now fine (!!!!! notwithstanding the faults found by the second guy.. including failed ball joint and low output from different headlight). I awaited the document... time passed... then he emerged and asked if I had tested it elsewhere. Well yes.. so?? He was unable to issue a certificate without carrying out another full test. What the hell?? He said it was in the small print on the document but I confess I can't see it and it isn't stated clearly for sure. There ensued something of a discussion... involving all the employees and the manager. I pointed out the suspicious lack of concordance in the two failure lists.. and that as a driver I am used to bending over and taking it from MoT garages but would like at least some pretence of fairplay and perhaps a reacharound or a kiss before they give me a reaming. When asked to pay for a re-test and a new full test .. I declined saying that I had yet to be given the result of the partial test and I am not too keen to pay for nothing. I stumped up the additional £15 and we were all mildy happy. I now have a W reg Micra... 1.3 which is quite nice... though the MoT expires next week. This could be fun as I re-appear for a remake of the Parrot Sketch. Yes I accept it is my fault.. I just didn't know the rules. But as I pointed out to the rather portly manager.. I work in a hospital and when he appears in about 5 years and needs a triple bypass I won't throw a hissy fit when he asks for second opinion.

Shame to hear that, some places are really strict. The guy I use will check everything to do with safety but let's things like loud exhausts go. You shouldn't tell the garage if you went somewhere else first lol.

It's all computerised anyway now, so it may have flagged up you had taken it somewhere else. I'm not sure how the system works.

With regards to condensation, just take the bulb out and leave it to air for a whole day. Make sure the seal on the back of the bulb is on perfectly and isn't perished, as this is where the condensation comes from.

The trouble is, an MOT is an MOT! You need the certificate and sometimes its best to either attempt a repair yourself or just cough up the cash. They've got you over a barrel anyway if yours is due to expire - they know you can't drive without it.

Oh yes I didn't mention the other test. The computer locked him out when he was trying to enter the successful re-test.

Nuts!!

BTW I have this W reg Micra 1.3 GX... It hasn't been serviced after the 60,000 mark.. does this mean the timing belt is due a change? Is it a belt or chain on these? ta

Back