Speedmeter cable acted as oil pump!

CMF_panos4

» CMF Member
Hello all Micra owners!

I've just bought a Micra 1.0 -95. The car has a problem with the speedometer, it shows 200 km when you drive at 10 km! I saw that it ran a liquid on the pedals. It looked like some kind of oil, but it was lighter than engine oil and more viscous than brake fluid, almost like gear oil. When I dismantlers instruments, I found the source of the leak: The cable to the speedometer was broken and served as an oil pump, it took up oil from the gearbox to the dashboard, and it dripped from there! New cable are now ordered so we'll see if that solves the problem.

Have you ever seen somethink like this?

Sorry for the bad english, -thanks to Google Translate :)

CMF_Snoopy

» CMF Member
had s swift gti do this. The internal seal on the speedo drive (the one inside the speedo housing sealing on the speedo shaft) let go and was leaking into the speeedo cable and sending it up to the back of the instrument cluster and down onto the pedals. Had to replace the speedo drive to fix the problem

CMF_panos4

» CMF Member
Hello,
I replaced the cable now but the problem with the speedometer is still there: It shows 200 km/h as long as the car run a 10 km/h in fact. Could a replace of the seal or the speedo drive fix this problem as well or is my speedo itself failed?

Thanks
Panos

CMF_panos4

» CMF Member
Thank your frank! It was actually all oil from gearbox causing all the mechanical parts on my speedo "stocked". I just remove it and cleared all and it works fine now.

Now is the fuel gauges turn to bee mad, it turned a halv circle and stopped at the middle of the opposite side! Crazy! Wat to do?

CMF_panos4

» CMF Member
My fuel gauge became reversed but I think that it works!! It pointed at the middle before and now I have got 20 lt. See the picture! Crazy!

Attachments

• 49862.jpg
    49862.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 36
Back