speed bumps gurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

N

nicon_23

rite people whats the legal hight for a speed bump as i nearly riped off my sump on the new 1 hear my house

this bump is HUGE i aproached it slowly creaping over it then crunch i was stuck so stuck in fact that when i tryed to move away the wheels span

ile get sume picks later with mesurments for you all

Ive seen ridiculous ones as well, I bet the replies from people in the know have answers that annoy me like "there isn't a legal height limit" etc GRR

i am not actually to sure if there any legal matters with speed bumps, but surely they would have made sure that they kept within the law if there are legal rules with the bumps? :S

is there a problem down that road with people speeding then? i know round my area they just put up loads of shaquanes (god know how you spell that) and that seemed to slow everything down around there.

there is laws regarding them, cant remmber off hand though. a search should find it.

yeah theres definitly a law as it was on the news in the south, some had to be removed as ambulances couldnt clear them!

i believe micra pete designs these types of things. maybe speak to him as to how the mind of a designer works.

the ones i'm on about are on a mc donalds car park lol home of the boy racer in The Festival Park in Stoke, although no ambulances will go over them I suppose - it's a massive pain for me, and my car is on standard springs with no body kit!! :eek:

Highways (Road Humps) Regulations 1996:
"The only dimensions now constrained by the regulations are: maximum and minimum heights of 100mm and 25mm respectively; a minimum length of 900mm; and no vertical face to exceed 6mm in height."

On private property, anything goes though.

no thers no prow with ppl speeding coz there is so meany cars parked on the road u cant go above 15-20mph at the beat fo tims before the bumps where put there

theres one at the top of my street which i wont even attempt, its like Everest! The ones in Mcdonalds are too high too

I'm not a fan of speed bumps either, went over one, and it appeared in my passenger footwell, and was not pleased about that i can tell you!

If they are on a busy road, then yes i can see the point, but where george stays, there really is not point to them.

I agree with the McDonalds comment, they are massive, I thought it was just our local one but it doesnt sound that way any more, i've seen cars roll back off them, and even stall going over them cos they didnt realise how big it was!

right the bump weighs in at ...........

its on a slkant so lowest high point.......... 15cm
higest point 17cm

Clearly way too high then, if the max limit is 10cm, and the lowest bit is 15 - get in touch with your local council and have a word :)

(Edit: beaten by stokefan ;))

good news spoke to the councle this morn and they agread the bump was to big and are sendin me a clame form for my zorst + other damage.

also ther gona fix the problem

nicon_23 said:
good news spoke to the councle this morn and they agread the bump was to big and are sendin me a clame form for my zorst + other damage.

Nice one mate - well done!

nice one...
but ill still post the link anyway about the law hehe

http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1996/Uksi_19961483_en_1.htm

nicon_23 said:

:eek: blimey!! Forgive the cynic in me, but I really didn't expect that at all. I've had nothing but a pain in the @rse with anything to do with my council.

What i was thinking about recently was that there was a diversion at the top of a main road in Stoke, which was sent round the grounds of a private leisure centre. OK the speed bumps on this leisure centre were massive, and It got me wondering well does the diverted route become a proper highway? I.e. with proper speed limits, and speed bump laws in place etc...wonder if anyone on here could shed light on that!?

Good stuff George, there should be something about the gradient of the bump though, there are a few near me that are nearly vertical, you can hear the car fall off it as you go over them grr

Craig said:
Good stuff George, there should be something about the gradient of the bump though, there are a few near me that are nearly vertical, you can hear the car fall off it as you go over them grr

splank's link said:
it has no vertical face of any material forming part of that road hump exceeding 6 millimetres measured vertically from top to bottom of that face.

Back