Rich on Start.

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
I'm starting to think I've used up all my Micra luck.After blowing the head gasket on the red car(still not back on road) my ever reliable green one has over the past 8 days been getting funny to start.
It will still start every time but now needs more cranking to get it to fire and then idles rough for 5 secs. Runs fine, not using more fuel , or any water or oil.. Smells rich after starting.
Idle is getting rougher though and does not sound even in the exhaust note when idling.

Any thoughts? It's not plugs, they are new and I put a new fuel filter in every service and a bottle of injector cleaner each service as well.
Does not seem to be down on power when on the move. So,,,,, any ideas?

Mychael

CMF_sportsclassic

» CMF Member
mipcar WROTE:

"I'm starting to think I've used up all my Micra luck.After blowing the head gasket on the red car(still not back on road) my ever reliable green one has over the past 8 days been getting funny to start.<BR>It will still start every time but now needs more cranking to get it to fire and then idles rough for 5 secs. Runs fine, not using more fuel , or any water or oil.. Smells rich after starting.<BR>Idle is getting rougher though and does not sound even in the exhaust note when idling.<BR><BR>Any thoughts? It's not plugs, they are new and I put a new fuel filter in every service and a bottle of injector cleaner each service as well.<BR>Does not seem to be down on power when on the move. So,,,,, any ideas?<BR><BR>Mychael

How many k's has it done?? could have some leaking injectors.

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
mychael

maybe it,s a weak spark (while the starter is running and dropping the voltage), with unburnt fuel due to the missfire , then the wet plug/plugs causing the uneven tickover ?.
if it fires up first kick with jump leads on, i would try another battery.
if not, dizzy ?

frank

CMF_sportsclassic

» CMF Member
mipcar WROTE:

"Cool, I'll start looking there.<BR>What normally happens with injectors? Do they get repaired/serviced or just replaced.?<BR><BR>Mychael

Depends how bad the injectors are, sounds like a good clean, leak test and flow test will sort out your troubles. Alot of workshops do injector testing themselves and there are mobile guys aswell.

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
Well you guys were 100% right. (This is a great site).. Leaky injectors. I pulled a set of 2nd hand ones from one of my spare motors, got them fitted and all seems good.

I need to cost new injectors as opposed to clean /overhaul to see what is most cost effective. Then I'll keep a spare set on hand.

Mychael

Back