Rear wheel bearing + hub

CMF_Mackemdave

» CMF Member
I have just replaced a rear bearing and hub(2nd hand part)The one i took off did not have a washer just the nut but the nut had a bit of a flange on. The one i got from the scrappie had a washer and nut.my question is,does it make a difference with or without.

CMF_Mackemdave

» CMF Member
It is the nearside i have changed,why is it crucial on the nearside.The one i have taken off is off my 1999 micra and looked like the makers nut as it was spotless and did not have a split pin through the shaft,just the nut pressed onto the flat bits on the shaft.Where as the earlier models had the split pin.But any way i have took a chance and put it back the way it came off with no washer and it seems fine so fingers xxxxxxxxxxxxed.

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
rear hubnuts will have either a lefthand thread on the nearside, or else a split pin or a washer that slides over 1 or 2 flats machined onto the shaft.
if there,s a problem on the offside, the rotation of the wheel will only tighten the nut eh

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
Mackemdave WROTE:

"i have changed my nearside back bearing hub,there was only a nut with a flange ordinary thread so i have put the same back,checked after 100 miles and all seems to be fine

hmmm, well mine has the washer that locates on the 2 flats machined onto the stub, and a split pin too

Attachments

• 77185.jpg
    77185.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 31
Back