Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.
New here & really not sure if I'm in the right place but...

Just borrowed the mother-in-law's Nissan Micra '52 plate while she's away on holiday for a couple of weeks.

My wife noticed it was often difficult to start. The key turns fine, but does not engage the starter motor... The "fix" seems to be to turn the key in the ignition off and on rapidly half a dozen times & then it catches..

After a bit of surfing I believe the problem may lie with the actual ignition switch & have been quoted £45 for a replacement part from the local Nissan dealer.

Anyone agree or disagree with the diagnosis?
Anyone know a cheaper / 2nd hand source for replacement parts?

Cheers

Doesn't it turn over at all when turning the key?

No. Completely dead. It's as if the battery was totally dead. No clicks. Nothing... The battery's fine by the way :laugh:

I got it to start this morning by "jiggling" the key on and off a few times. Then it started right up. It will aslo bump start, but it's a nightmare having to find a parking space on a hill, or a couple of willing passers-by to give you a shove!

When I asked the parts guy at the Nissan dealer about a new ignition switch, he reckoned it was a common problem with the Micra. And looking on the internet, I believe there was actually a model recall relating to this problem?? It's a 52 plate.

Would be nice to get it sorted in time for the motherinlaw getting back. But I don't want to blow £45 on bits if it doesn't cure it :wow:

Thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back