My quest for speed

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
I've bought myself a moped, simply cos i'm fed up of being ripped off by everyone for owning a car.

This is a bit of a blog type thing detailing my quest to squeeze more speed out of it.

The engine is a 49.5cc aircooled OHC 4-stroke with 4-speed manual box

When I first picked it up it was limited to a fantastic 28MPH, a quick disconnection of a wire removed the 8K limiter and got me 32MPH.

This still didn't seem fast enough so I de-catted it (yes it really had a cat)

The straight line and down hill speed is stuck at 40 due to the CDI unit being limited to 10,000 rpm but my uphill speed has increased to 35MPH.

Next week I'm gunna mess about with sprockets as the ratios are all wrong, 1st gear seems to be there to chuck you off the back, no other reason, the rest of the time I'm in 4th gear bouncing it off the limiter

If anyone has any smart go faster ideas or just any comments please post.

None of the usual negative crap either, I know it's only a 50cc but you guys all mod micras so before you say it think about that.

Nice i like it,

I know in twist and goes they restrict the exhaust with a pipe off the side and they add a plate in the clutch, i would assume they did similar things to restrict geared 50cc mopeds?

is it not a pain changing gear every 7-8mph?

if you are wanting more umph from your madass 50, contact tomberlin and have them send you the 70cc performance kit. Its a simple 3 hour job. Piece of cake as long as you have intermediate mechanic skills. The kit has EVERYTHING you will need for the upgrade.
New head and pre-installed valves. Cylinder, Piston, wrist pin, every gasket, nut and bolt you need, new mikuni carb, airfilter, offset intake pipe,pinion. You'll be doing 45mph, even uphill, and acceleration is MUCH better. If you dont know what your doing...find a friend that knows a little about motors and do it. Its not hard. Just remember to stuff a towel in the crankcase before you start scraping that gasket off., and adjust the valves before you fire it up. Other than that...its pretty much a bolt on deal.
http://www.tomberlin.net/
(i coppied and pasted this from a site hehe)

The cat was the only restriction in the exhaust, I couldn't find any other restriction apart from the horrible gear ratios.
It goes like this:
1st: 0-4 MPH
2nd: 5-7MPH
3rd: 8-15MPH
4th: 16+

So because of this I'm always in 4th gear so there is no shifting lol

buy a power pipe to replace the exhaust! I put one on mine and the acceleration after puttin just that on was instantly noticeable! But the noise was incredible, it sounded like a wasp bein raped in a biscuit tin played over a megaphone, i wasnt very popular in my street!

Looking at the valve size etc I believe the exhaust is perfectly matched now it's cat-free. Any less backpressure and I'd be doing damage. There is a slight problem with my exhaust though, as the pipe comes up under the seat it gets very hot after about 30 mins riding.

Ah the good old days of owning a moped, fair play dude a wise move, just hope you didnt pay too much for it as i would say get on a two stroke whilst they are still legal.

I did look at 2-strokes but in the end fuel economy won lol.
It's an 07 plate, 487 miles on the clock, taxed for a year and cost me £799
I put £4 worth of fuel in it and I've done 32 miles so far and used less than half a tank.
The only downside I've found to this bike is the electrics, the 3aH battery isn't good enough, it starts no problem but the headlights are really dim, needs some LEDs I think, or a DC rectifier on the generator lol.

Cos with a 50 I can ride it on a CBT forever, with the 125 my CBT would run out in 2 years and I cba to do the full test.

Also it's my first road bike so I wanted to start small, oh and 120MPG

I didnt think you could ride a 50 on a cbt forever? that was only if you passed your driving test before 1995 iirc.

Guess I'll have to pass my bike test then lol. Although in 2 years time I'll be able to get cheap insurance etc on a car.

I think I've done all I can with it, changed the final drive ratio from 11:53 to 13:47
Now I get 44MPH on flat ground and can still get the front wheel off the ground at traffic lights. However up hill speed is 20MPH in 2nd gear with a very hot clutch lol.

Problem with that is I could only have a dry shot as I don't have any pressure in my fuel line, or enough juice to run a pump, she already runs a bit lean so things would go horribly melty

Not all insurers will allow you to use a bikes no claim on a car.

And remember that if you pass your bike test on a 50cc ped, you won't be allowed to ride a 125 bike without a CBT for it.

To have a full bike license you need to do your bike test on a 125cc geared bike that will do more than 56mph iirc.

Then you can ride up to 33bhp for 2 years, then you're unrestricted.

The insurance will be hardly any difference between a 50 and a 125.

last year i had a piaggio nrg power 50cc which did about 50mph and cost £290 to insure this year i got my micra and a yamaha rd 125 which i have had 98 mph out of it and it would do more which cost £98 to insure! madness! CBT tests only last for 2 years no matter what you ride 50 or 125 im afraid!

i think u were right about being able to ride a 50 mate, I just checked my CBT cert and it says that if you have a car licence and you get a cbt then it doesnt run out for a 50cc. Means I can still ride one then :p

get it jetted and a sports pipe on it quick release throttle and bp ltimate fuel or shell v-power they work a treat lol done it on my old madass

Back