l.e.d bulbs

R05_Micra

Ex. Club Member
i wanna do a project on here with l.e.d bulbs but cant find any single order companies in the uk, any one live near a small electronics shop that sells em and could mebe send me some up n ill send the cash dwn or visa versa? ta guys!

its ok lads ta, found a company in the states, got 500 l.e.d lights for £8.80 ($15.00) lol, i only want 10 but im not one to miss a bargin haha! :D

but ultraleds.co.uk is better £3.50 for 10, class! cheers arnold!

do i need a 12v resistor in the circuit or one from each bulb?

like 1) -------led--------led---------led---------resistor-----------battery----- or:-

2) --------led-------res---------led---------res----------led------res------battery----.?

its been 3 -4 years since i done this in science at school, yr 10 or sumthin, kinda lost it since then lol!

well the idea is, cut the indicator conector off ( on the wing, where the conector is)and wire the circuit from there, sounds strait forward but i probly aint! ya get me?

Each LED will need its own resistor,

if you are using the LEDs outside the car you will need to shrink wrap the wires and the legs of the LED because other wise it will corrode.

there also laws regarding non factory LED lights and most of them are you cant use leds unless they came with the car but mot people ignore this and get away with it :)

if you are wiring the LEDs into the indicator loom then you may need to add a load equilser on get an LED compensating flasher relay to stop the bulbs from flashing too fast (MOT fail as i found out lol)

hope this helps :)

class nex mate, but they are 12v bulbs and will the not just flast as the indicator does? and yes the ides is to put the leds in the mirrirs lol, forgot to mention!

no probs mate :)

nice idea, i'm planning to do the same thing with some of those dodgy helfrauds stick on ones :)

i wanted to get the taiwan ones from the new super march but no one knows who to get in touch with...

If you are sure the LEDs are 12v then thats fine, if not then they will each need a resistor...

the flasher relay has a special system in it which works off the over all load created by all the bulbs put together. the point of this is so that when one blows the flashers flash faster so you know that one has blown. they only flash faster when indicating not when the hazzards are on...

i think you might get away with it if you just do the side repeaters. when i changed my side repeaters to LED they were fine (becasue the side repaters are small bulbs) but they failed the MOT because they weren't bright enough so i had to put the old ones back in...

but when i changed the rear lights to LED they flashed too fast and that failed the MOT too :| but i put in a load compensation relay from ultra leds and it doesn't come on straight away. there is a delay of about half a second... so i decided to get load equilisers instead from ultra...

good luck mate :) oh and see if you can get hold of some 1w LEDs because i think if you have an LED that bright then you only need one :) that means that they are more subtle and can be hidden easly but they do cost like £15 each!!! but worth it if you can find some orange ones :)

You may find it hard to wire onto those strips...

you are better off buying a pack of ten orange leds and then some 12 - 3 volt resistors and some shrink wrap. then just solder on the resistor to either leg of the LED (doesn't matter which) and then put shrink wrap over the top and use the soldering iron to shrink it...

i think on UltraLEDs there is a service where you can get all that done for you by them...

nex u can read my mind, thats what on me paper in font of me :D, gonna order tommorow so need:

20 leds (amber) (i probs fcuk up a bit lol)
10 stonger resistors (12 v)
shrink wrap
load equiliser, thats right aint it lol,

ive got a soldering iron etc, i know how to wire it up lol, ta nex! ;)

hehe the force is with me ;)

lol good plan, always get more than you need :) i'd recomment you get more resistors too because the wires are quite thin and they break easily. i bought 100 of them and i've already run out lol, mainly because i thought i had so many i kept wasting them lol

for the load equilisers you will need two, one for each repeater...

you will only need them if your indicators flash too fast which i don't think they will because you are only doing the side repeaters. if you decide to do the other indicators in LED then you will need them.

they are basically a large resistor which simulates the resistance of a bulb but because of that they get as hot as a bulb. but this should not be a problem because the lights you are using them on are flashing ones and not constant on (like in America)

really i don't think you will need them but they are useful to have anyway :)

something useful to know, if you don't already is that the flat side of the LED is negative... which i think is the longer leg...

also i'd wire them in parallel

good luck mate, let us know how you get on :)

Back